When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What about servicing non chrono movements?

Gadgeguy2009

Hello all,

I understand, that a 7750 movement requires servicing, immediately after arrival from Asia (or soon thereafter).

But is this also the case for ETA / ETA clone automatic (non chrono) movements? Or can they wait a year or two before having them serviced?

What do you do if you get a new watch with ETA / ETA clone movement?

Thank you for sharing your experience!

Hello all,

I understand, that a 7750 movement requires servicing, immediately after arrival from Asia (or soon thereafter).

But is this also the case for ETA / ETA clone automatic (non chrono) movements? Or can they wait a year or two before having them serviced?

What do you do if you get a new watch with ETA / ETA clone movement?

Thank you for sharing your experience!

iT'S YOUR CHOICE. I haven't had any of mine serviced and so far, they keep on tickin! Some would say I'm playin with fire........fire's good!

Hike

Every movement requires servicing every 3-5 years (please see The Zigmeister's posts, and ask your local AD). The problem with reps is, no one knows when the movement was serviced!

If money is no object, get them serviced straight away...

The problem is that our movements are surplus (ETA movements) and therefore the condtion is unknown.

Some movements are clean and unused, others are very old and in dire need of servicing. There is no way to really know the condition until you open it up and have a look.

As a rule of thumb, if your planning on keeping the watch, and it's running fine, I would plan on having it serviced at some time 1-2 years, to protect your investment. If the watch doesn't run well, or starts running faster, it's time to have it looked at.

The problem is that our movements are surplus (ETA movements) and therefore the condtion is unknown.

Some movements are clean and unused, others are very old and in dire need of servicing. There is no way to really know the condition until you open it up and have a look.

As a rule of thumb, if your planning on keeping the watch, and it's running fine, I would plan on having it serviced at some time 1-2 years, to protect your investment. If the watch doesn't run well, or starts running faster, it's time to have it looked at.

Thank you - very useful advice! I did not realize that the movements used could be quite old... :(