When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Impressions on the AP ROO Safari 12 o'clock

I just got this in recently and I thought it might be useful for some of the others who've expressed interest in this watch to have some more data.

DSC_0355.JPG

I'll try to avoid repeating what's already been said already too much.

The fit and finish on this watch is quite nice. The case is very precisely cut, and the brushed and polished finishes on the edges seem to match exactly what is found on the gen SS versions of this with very little in the way of obvious flaws.

The quality of the rep'ed strap looks okay for about 20 seconds but is clearly pleather fake hornback. It does have some nice thickness to it and gives you a sense of how a decent strap ought to feel on this watch.

The dial is not just stark white, but maybe even silver-white, along with the outer dial ring. I would say that the subdials have the correct color spot on, but the rest of the dial needs to be cream colored, along with the outer dial ring. This is the main flaw of an otherwise well excecuted dial in terms of detail. You might say, why not get the MBW if the cosmetics are so important. The problem is I want the watch to function with the correct counters at 9 and 12 o'clock rather than what is in effect a faux chrono with mismatched functions at 9 and 12 o'clock.

The texture of the back of the case itself is amazing, a rough textured steel that seem to match all the pictures of the gen to a T. (not talking about the screw caseback, which is also really well finished but just a brushed circular pattern).

I found some disappointing pieces of debris (very small) on the inside of the crystal and even on top of the magnified DW. They are very small and not noticeable, but for $518-528 you might expect better.

BOTTOM LINE: ACCURACY of the dial color is a dead giveaway from about 6 feet away. QUALITY of the rep hornback strap is a dead giveaway from about 10 feet away.

Get a good dial (maybe a swap from an MBW safari, although I'm told that it won't fit correctly either due to datewindow location or subdials or both) and a gen strap like Roger's or at least an APBANDS hornback and you might be good to go.

Exactly my point-- I got this watch fully aware that it was not the most accurate of the seconds 12 o'clock models, but felt it was the best look of all of the dial/case/strap combos.

I think with a good strap it won't matter how gen the dial looks, it will look amazing and you really can't argue with that. It's a watch that AP should make, but doesn't actually

So I am with you on that bro...

@jurgenk! Congrats and Welcome to the club!

You're right about the dial and the strap.......to avoid this give away, change the strap right away. What makes this a Safari is the Strap! After that, its another AP ROO!

The dial BTW changes its hue depending on the lighting situation.....it gets that gen look closer to Sunset!

My recomendations:

#1: Get a diff. strap.......if you get an AP BAnd, be prepared to do some mod on their strap (filing about an 8th off of the Head tip!) koz it will not fit!

#2. Get a spare set off screws and steel connector....whatever you call it......the part that connects the strap to the head!

#3. Grease the bottom rubber o-ring (make sure to put back the screws like putting back your car tire, criss-crossed, two first and with the same equal torque applied) and

the pushers and crown........mine passed the 10ATM test good enough to go diving to 100ft!

#4. Wear it under the SUN for 6 weeks straight, this seem to have changed the color of my Dial close to the GEN! Or maybe it was the Tropical Weather/temperature of Asia

that did it? :D

Good luck and wear it well!

Congrats to that watch. Changing the strap should help to get it closer to gen....every now and then they pop-up used on the Bay.

Anyway....the dial color is wrong....butt the numbers color is also wrong, they should be dark-brown but are black in the rep. :cool:

Enjoy your piece,

Theo

Thanks for the feedback

Yes I agree, some sun turned the dial closer to an off white, and hopefully more sun will get to that cream color.

I didn't realize the AP bands was such a hassle.

Couldn't I just install the metal stubs from my rep bands into the AP Bands (coz i noticed some bands like strapluxe don't even have the stubs in them)

Thanks for the feedback

Yes I agree, some sun turned the dial closer to an off white, and hopefully more sun will get to that cream color.

I didn't realize the AP bands was such a hassle.

Couldn't I just install the metal stubs from my rep bands into the AP Bands (coz i noticed some bands like strapluxe don't even have the stubs in them)

It won't work! You have to trim the ends! But then again, maybe they make new ones now for the REP market! They only make them for the GENs a few months back when I ordered mine! I have three of them and I have to trim each one!

Goodluck!

It won't work! You have to trim the ends! But then again, maybe they make new ones now for the REP market! They only make them for the GENs a few months back when I ordered mine! I have three of them and I have to trim each one!

Goodluck!

Okay, got it. Thanks for the other advice too. I didn't know you could get down to 100 ft. I'll have to try diving with this too after I grease the gasket.

Oh, and nice, umm... watch display...

Edited by Jurgenk