When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Case ID

Brodie

Hey folks, looking for some opinions on this case I purchased from helenarou a while back. I've read and seen the differences between the Pre-V and current cases, but still can't pick them apart for sure. After seeing the case blackbard had for sale recently though (http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=101020) looks like the same case. What do you think? Helenarou case is on the left (empty case).

Top - bezel is slightly flatter

Front.jpg

Side profile shot of the difference in bezel angle

Bezel.jpg

Lugs - look a little beefier

Lugs.jpg

Back - little wider, can see some "love handles" sticking out around the case back

Back.jpg

Strap dimple - does have them which I know is not accurate

Dimple.jpg

Other thing to note is the CG screws are smaller than the standard rep CG screws. I wasn't trying to pick up a Pre-V case so I won't be devastated if it's not, but just curious if it was. Thanks!

Guest avitt
Hey folks, looking for some opinions on this case I purchased from helenarou a while back. I've read and seen the differences between the Pre-V and current cases, but still can't pick them apart for sure. After seeing the case blackbard had for sale recently though (http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=101020) looks like the same case. What do you think? Helenarou case is on the left (empty case).

Top - bezel is slightly flatter

Front.jpg

Side profile shot of the difference in bezel angle

Bezel.jpg

Lugs - look a little beefier

Lugs.jpg

Back - little wider, can see some "love handles" sticking out around the case back

Back.jpg

Strap dimple - does have them which I know is not accurate

Dimple.jpg

Other thing to note is the CG screws are smaller than the standard rep CG screws. I wasn't trying to pick up a Pre-V case so I won't be devastated if it's not, but just curious if it was. Thanks!

I picked up that case from Blackbard, and I think that yours is the same one...Which convinces me that there were multiple generations of "Helenarou" cases, which each exhibit varying degrees of Pre-V characteristics.

On the plus side, the case has those nice, short fat lugs and square shoulders which were attributes of the Pre-V models. Also, the smaller lug holes are more desirable if you plan to use the 1.6mm Pre-V style double-screw bars.

However, on the minus side, the bezel is too wide. Subsequently, the crystal is a bit smaller than normal, at around 35mm. Also, the construction of the case is different from other Pam reps (and gens). Normally, the crystal presses into a lip on the case, and the bezel mounts around the outside of this lip. With these cases, the bezel presses into the case (it's much heavier than a gen bezel), and the crystal mounts to the bezel. Also, there's the dimple.

Perhaps the worst thing, however, is that fact that the case backs seem to be non-standard (you can check yours by trying to switch the backs on the two cases pictured).

All in all, I'm not sure that this is the case that I want to use for a Pre-V build, and I'm thinking of selling mine on...

Thanks Avitt, you are right on all points. I did notice and forgot to mention (as you pointed out) that this case does not accept standard case backs. The O ring is also larger so even that's not compatible. I have a spare E case back that I bought for use on a standard rep case and found it was too small. I tried it on this case and it fit like a glove so apparently there's a whole different production of case backs out there as well, made to fit these cases but not the standard rep cases. I'm currently sitting on cases from four different vendors and they all have slight differences between each other. If I get some time this weekend I'll try and take some pics and put a comparison.