When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My new Carrera stops frequently--suggestions?

knicknut

I recently purchased a Carrera clone (A-7750 28800bph, my first rep!), but after a few weeks of working properly, it has been stopping randomly every few days, often while it is on my wrist. It will stop without warning and I will have to readjust it and wind it by hand, Then it works fine for some time until it stops again. The times at which it gets stuck seem random, and are not at the same time every day or in equal intervals.

I e-mailed Joshua and he told me to wind it manually and try to keep it running. He offered to try to repair it if I send it to him, but was wondering if anyone else on here had suggestions of things I could try to do before going through the time, effort, cost, and risk of sending it to him for repair. He mentioned to "try to keep it running," so I've been manually winding it 2 or 3 times a day to keep it going, which has worked for 4 days, but at some point I will need to stop to see if it will keep going automatically without winding manually.

Thanks for the suggestions and insight to a newbie who is willing to learn with his first rep! :)

Please, do not manually wind the watch. For further information as to why you should avoid this practice, please read this thread:

A7750 handwinding damage. Wind at your own risk.

Unfortunately, it may be time to have the watch serviced. Intermittent running not a good sign :(

Eek, thanks for the tip. I figured Joshua was the expert and should do what he says, but that does seem dangerous! I will be more careful.

Anyone else have any suggestions before I send it away? Looks like it was never right to begin with if it only ran for a week or two before these problems. Are a higher percentage of reps lemons like this one, or did I just get unlucky with my first experience?

It's not uncommon for A7750's to require a service from the start; they are oft times dry of oil, or in some cases over-oiled. Once serviced, it should be a fairly stable and long lasting movement. Worth the money to have a proper servicing if this is a long term watch for your collection...