When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

1655 Movement Question...

TeeJay

This is a really quick simple question, but something I was wondering, is, should the orange GMT hand be independently adjustable, or should it only make the 24 hour sweep? I only ask as I've seen a very cheap 1655 rep, which, given my newly found love of vintage wabi-sabi, would be an awesome watch to abuse watch to vintagize to give a more 'temporally realistic' appearance, but, the movement is the GMT variant with the fixed 24 hour sweep, rather than independently adjustable GMT hand. Now, on a GMT Master, I wouldn't consider it a problem, as the bezel is rotatable to give the second time-zone, and, I know that the Explorer was designed as a speleologists watch to give the AM/PM distinction, rather than necessarily providing a second time-zone function, but I just wondered if the gen 1655 actually could provide the second time-zone, or if it was purely intended as an AM/PM identifier... Thanks in advance :)

The Orange hand should NOT be independantly adjustable.

It share the same movement as the second generation 1675 GTM 1 (1570 with gmt module) but without the rotative bezel off the gmt.

So in the real world this complication is prety useless on a 1655, but it looks so cool :)

if the watch is powered by an eta and you know how to disassemble it, you can chose to remove one gear and the hand is no longer adjustable ...

It shouldn't have quickset date neither, wich is anoying if you don't weare the watch every day, if the watch is powered by an eta you can chose to keep or remove the quickset gear... i personaly kept it ...

The Orange hand should NOT be independantly adjustable.

It share the same movement as the second generation 1675 GTM 1 (1570 with gmt module) but without the rotative bezel off the gmt.

So in the real world this complication is prety useless on a 1655, but it looks so cool :)

if the watch is powered by an eta and you know how to disassemble it, you can chose to remove one gear and the hand is no longer adjustable ...

It shouldn't have quickset date neither, wich is anoying if you don't weare the watch every day, if the watch is powered by an eta you can chose to keep or remove the quickset gear... i personaly kept it ...

Thanks for the feedback, that's really helpful to know, and definitely makes the 1655 I'd seen more appealing :) I wouldn't mind an inaccuracy of detailing, but an inaccuracy of function, would probably have been a dealbreaker, which is funny, as I would have considered it a redundant function (as you say, a pretty useless complication in the real world) to only 'half copy' the GMT function, if it was supposed to have been adjustable as a second time-zone, which I think I would have found as intolerable as watches with faux-chrono dials which don't actually do anything, but, if it is only supposed to be an AM/PM indicator, then I can live with that no problem, funny how that little bit of knowledge makes all the difference to an opinion of something :) Thanks again for letting me know, it's very much appreciated :good::drinks: