When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Help modifying a WM9 v2 z series Sub?

alfe

Greetings,

Very interested in getting into the modding game. I have a WM9 16610 Sub with the ETA 2678-2 smaller movement.

My first mod would be to add a gen crown or smaller crown because I think the existing crown is too big, does anyone have any idea how this is done and which parts are needed?

My ultimate goal is to add a vintage dial - without the shiny bits around the markers! Does anyone make these or fit them and if so would it fit to the WM9 smaller movement?

Any ideas much appreciated.

All the best, Alf

Gen crown should fit the existing tube without much hassle. Pretty easy change there; just remove the stem, unthread crown, add new crown with thread lock and you should be set.

As for adding a vintage matte dial (i.e. with no surrounds); you'd want a 16800 dial, as that would fit the modern sapphire crystal case (a 1680 dial would be way too small). The 16800 dial has the 1000ft = 300m marking, but is matte finished without marker surrounds. The dial should fit and line up at the date window as long as you don't change anything with the way the movement is currently configured.

If you do go the route of modding your piece to 16800 standards, you should have the lug holes drilled out, as the solid lugs didn't start until much later in the 16610's production.