When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How do I set an automatic ETA clone?

Gadgeguy2009

Hello all,

I am confused - please guide me! (Sorry - this is probably a very noob question).

I have a number of very nice replica watches - many of them are automatics with asian ETA movements.

Since I have many watches, I rotate them often. I have only two watch winders - so as a result I have to set date / time often on those watches which stopped when I last wore them.

I never had issues before ( I had a number of japanese automatics with day / date movements ) - but now I have isses with my replicas.

This is what has happened: on one of my reps, when I wanted to wear it, I adjusted the date (I made sure that the time was not between 9 PM and 3 AM), and then I wanted to adjust the time. But somehow the mechanism locked up. After adjusting the date I was unable to adjust the time, and furthermore the winding mechanism did not work either ( crown was turning freely - without winding). As a watch where I cannot set the time or which I cannot wind is not very useful, I took it my watchmaker. The watchmaker told me that somehow I put the watch in between the two setting position (set date / set time) and as a result the mechanism locked up. He fixed it, and the watch works now.

I have a second watch with ETA clone. On that one if I set the date and then want to screw the crown back on the crown does not get out of the date setting mode, and so when I screw it crown in, it moves the date as well. I figured that one out: after setting the date I have to set the time before I screw the crown in. Moving the mechanism to time set takes it out from date set, and then when I push in, it does not go to date set.

So the question is:

- what is the best practice when setting time / date? Is it:

1. Set the date

2. Set the time

3. Wind if needed?

.... this resulted in a locked up watch on watch one...

Or is it:

1. Set the time - then push crown fully in

2. Set the date ( pull crown out to one click)

3. Wind if needed?

.... this works great on the first watch, but it results in changing the date (one or two days) when screwing in the crown on the second watch

Or is it:

1. Set the time

2. Set the date

3. Set the time

4. Wind if needed

.... this could work on both... but is this the right way?

How can I avoid that my watch mechanism locks up (like the first watch did)?

Are there any FAQ's or guide's to noob's related to this?

I am really confused as I never had such an issue with the 5 or so japanese autos I had - and now I have it on several replicas.

Thanks for any advice...

They SHOULD be independent actions. If they stem is the proper length, the clicks on the stem should determine which position it is in and what will happen. When pushed in all the way to the case to the position where the crown would screw in, it should wind the watch and have no effect on setting time or date.

Date and time setting should be able to be performed independently.

They SHOULD be independent actions. If they stem is the proper length, the clicks on the stem should determine which position it is in and what will happen. When pushed in all the way to the case to the position where the crown would screw in, it should wind the watch and have no effect on setting time or date.

Date and time setting should be able to be performed independently.

So are maybe both watches slightly defective then? As per my watchmaker the first watch is completely ok, and these are just "Quirks" of a not too perfect movement (clone), which otherwise runs great.

I had these issue's with the 21J models. The ETA clones have not had this problem however. I solved it by pressing the release of the stem on the movement and readjusted the stem. Sometimes with the cheaper movements the stem gets out of the right position when you pull it out and push it in often. Think that a normal user will hardly have the problem but collectors that have to set the time and date more often because they rotate the watches probably could encounter this flaw much faster.

Sometimes datewheels and things slip on these and jam things up. With servicing, Zig has had to add special washers and things to hold parts in place as they are not there in the design of the watches. So yes, there are inherent flaws in the design of some of the reps which leads to premature failure needing fixing in some cases.

Unfortunately, if you sent it back for servicing/warranty from your dealer, you'll either have the dealer stop selling to you if you do it too regularly (or even slightly regularly), or it will not be worth it due to costs for shipping, downtime, etc.

Sometimes datewheels and things slip on these and jam things up. With servicing, Zig has had to add special washers and things to hold parts in place as they are not there in the design of the watches. So yes, there are inherent flaws in the design of some of the reps which leads to premature failure needing fixing in some cases.

Unfortunately, if you sent it back for servicing/warranty from your dealer, you'll either have the dealer stop selling to you if you do it too regularly (or even slightly regularly), or it will not be worth it due to costs for shipping, downtime, etc.

Thank you. The good news is that only two watches from the ones I have have this behavior. For now I will use them carefully - and if they ever break I may consider a new movement (or servicing by the Ziggmeister) whatever is more affordable, if I still like them at that time.