When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

FGD 201a, All the bells and whistles! Kudos to Simon

tanya

First off I want to say that our very own FGD is the truest of gentlemen and that to me his dials are every bit the Ultimate achievement in a long line of wonderous RWG homespun projects!! I certainly love this watch and I have another of his (a beauty of a 202a dial vintagized by Flav, and a matching El 202a case) half assembled, awaiting a PVD case I procured.

Had an old school Pre V style case

An EL Caseback (I think)

a very nice set of slightly vintagized lumed hands

T Crown

a beautiful Swiss Movement from otto Frei

FGD's newest and greatest 201a dial which showed up three days ago (KUDOS TO SIMON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

and a V CG, perfectly finished

assembly took me no more than a half hour. With setting the case clamps taking the most time.

Finally the V CG and ,..... BLAH, though it fits and locks the crown perfectly like a gen, look at the friggen gaps at the top and bottom where it meets the case. I fully understand that grinding, filing and sanding are likely needed to make a seemless fit though I have had numerous cases in the past that fit snuggly to a V CG perfectly. My question, I suppose, is how to approach this without F-ing with the V CG. I suppose I can live with it but I would rather not and I am not touching the V. What can I or a modder do to a case to rectify the situation.

P1020316.jpg

P1020318.jpg

P1020319.jpg

Thanks Red,

Unless someone comes up with a viable and simply way to modd the case , it may be done

Dude - thanks for all the kind words - honestly it's out of the love of these watches so this is a real joy to see- it does look excellent and whatever you do don't touch that case!!

There's a couple of options on the CG

1- Risky but less so than sanding or filing the base IMHO- gently pinch the CG in a hobby vice fitted with some leather or rubber pads as to not damage the edges of the CG.

The idea is to get the angle of the CG to meet the angle of the case - I think your's looks only a degree or so out so the key is VERY VERY gently and repeatedly check the fit - I'd suggest 1/8 turns of the vice handle at a time. If you over do it you can change the shape of the inside edge or knock the lever fitment out.

2- Keep the V for some other case and get a Little Hero CG for <$200 - these are IMHO better suited for a Pre-V model and solved the fitment issue on my 201/A perfectly !

Thanks for sharing the photos !!!

Simon

FGD

Wow thanks Fish

I like the hobby vise idea. Will have to find someone to take on that cause for me