When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Omega Speedmaster crystal questions

Harley357

This weekend I removed the flat crystal from my hand wind Speedmaster and polished the inside blue hue AR off.

Came out perfect but before I install it, I thought and check if I can find a domed glass or plexi crystal instead.

The seize appears to be 33.5mm

Any ideas where to get one?

Has anyone changed the crystal on their rep moon watch from a flat one to a domed one?

Thanks!

I did a conversion on mine, i ended up glueing the plexy in but it works very well, if i had got the next size up i think i could have pressed it in and i may do that next time.

Have a look, if you need me to order a crystal i can.

Thank you very much for your reply. That was great help.

I'll PM you about the crystal.

This weekend I removed the flat crystal from my hand wind Speedmaster and polished the inside blue hue AR off.

Came out perfect but before I install it, I thought and check if I can find a domed glass or plexi crystal instead.

The seize appears to be 33.5mm

Any ideas where to get one?

Has anyone changed the crystal on their rep moon watch from a flat one to a domed one?

Thanks!

I have cut & pasted my post which I added to this Forum yesterday.

It will tell you what lens I used to hide the unsightly step you see when trying to fit a high domed lens & how to reduce the outside diameter of the lens so as to allow the Tachymetre to be refitted.

regards

Lazoon.

ps I hope to put some photos of my modified Speedmaster this weekend.

HOW I FITTED THE HIGH DOMED "STERNKREUZ XAC 342.594" CRYSTAL:-

The "Sternkreuz XAC 342.594" comes complete with the Metal Chrome Strip fitted inside it, this cures the problem of having the unsightly step which you get if you fit the STERNKREUZ hW 33.6 High Dome Crystal.

What you will need to do before you fit the XAC 342.594 in place is to carefully remove the 'Tachymetre Bezel' (this will be used as a size gauge later). You will then need to turn down the outside diameter of the 'XAC 342.594' until you can place it on a flat surface & then drop the 'Tachymetre Bezel' over it so it sits nicely on the same surface as the 'XAC 342.594' is sitting on.

If you then drop the modified 'XAC 342.594' into the body of your Speedmaster, then place the 'Tachymetre Bezel' back into its correct seating, you will then see that you have a Speedmaster with a really nice looking domed lens, but without that horrible step.

I bonded my modified crystal in place using Super Glue (I tried using G-S hypo cement But it was not very successful), I bonded the 'Tachymetre Bezel'in place using evo-stick.

I didn't have any special tools to turn down the 'XAC 342.594' crystal.

This is how I turned down my 'XAC 342.594' crystal which I purchased from "Cousins" web site for about

• Like 1