When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

1680 1655 DW case Set

vlaletom

Dunno if anybody has really noticed :whistling:

but DW as extended his case set offer :bounce:!!!

he now has 1680 & 1655, that is case, dial & hands.

Maybe it's old news and it's just me that missed that ?

I have not spoke to him about it, so i can not comment on the quality or price.

But i hope it will be up to it's quality standard, that is, comparable to his daytona case set.

I know he did buy a gen 1655 case, that he later sold, and i suspect it was the base of one of the project.

So i am quite curious about this new player in the high quality game for anything else than a daytona,

as he usually sell at 1/4 the phong/ndt price stuff of the same quality.

Any body has some first hand info on those case set ??

Little update fromd David.

the case set will be 5512/1680/1655.

The public price will be 400$

this will include:

case

caseback

dial (with feet for 15xx)

tube

crown

hands

glass

David insisted it was going to be great quality, comparable to daytona case.

For those who played with his daytona case, you know that yes they are great quality, but not an "esay fit" process.

He did not whanted to send me picture, as he just has prototype, withouth any engraving at all.

The final production will be ready around october.

If they are good, it's an overall very good package.

To build a perect franken crown & glass should be changed with genuine.

Dial ...dunno, for daytona it's hard to find better than his, a part from genuine, or olmost impossible to find high end redial. But they are definitively not 1:1

So, we'll see.

Hmmm, few things spring to mind... :g:

1. I don't quite see how "definitely not 1:1" is compatible with fitting genuine parts, the two kind of go together usually on vintage cases. Even Yuki says he "can't guarantee gen parts will fit exactly".

2. Why a 1655 but not 1675 as well?

3. Redials are nice but if not better than what is already available, what's the point? I'm thinking of the 1655 especially, nothing half-decent about.

4. If supplying redials to fit c/15xx, then is that the same spec for the packaged hands as well? If so, that basically limits buyers to those who will spring for a c.1570 (expensive) or for the 1655 a c.1575 (even more expensive).

5. Overall a nice to know but hardly revolutionary, even the price is not far off Yuki et al. Just sounds like DW jumping on the bandwagon and supplying 'me too' products instead of raising the bar as he did with the Daytonas.

Well nothing revolutionary, i think dw is just going to compete with the viet case.

for 400$ that a nice package.

But as i said, it depend on the quality, and that as yet to bee seen.

When i say definitively not 1:1 i was speaking of the daytona dial, i have yet to see a 1:1 rep daytona dial.

And honestly i dont even expect the case to be 1:1 neither, nothing is 1:1 exept a gen.

I have Dw case, phong case, ndt case, none of them are plain 1:1.

I just expect from them to be as close as possible. and acept all gen parts.

The comming of a new actor on that market, is somthing that i think deserve to be noticed.

Yuki has allready contributed to cut off the ridiculous phong/ndt price.

The more competiton the best, price can only go lower.

And DW is willing to have a public price of 400$

And yes this is for a 15xx project. But you can still cut the dial feet, and mount a 2824 as you would do with any case set.

I bet david will produce a eta dial & hand later, same way he has variation for his daytona...

But imho no needs for such case set, if you dont have a gen mvmt.

A 1570 is to be found for 500-600

When DW first told me he wanted to price the kits for 650 few months back.. i told him Yuki is selling these for 450.....

That doesn't surprise me in the least and just backs up what I said above re. me too product and bandwagon jumping. Time will tell, but if DW thought his product superior to current offerings, why the price match/undercut? :g:

Actually i was referring for the 1575 price (with date)

But yes the runing price for a 1575 with gmt his around 1600$ - 2000$

That's why the 1655 is a problem.

I would definitively like to clear out the process of going from 1575 to 1575 gmt.

I posted a thread about this.

But i have not exactly sorted out what part are needed, and where to get a supply source for everything (i can get some but not all).

But if you ask phong or yuki they will do it for you, so they have access to those.

Probablly any AD can just place an order at rolex ? and they have connection ...

But next week i will be puting a gen dial on my 1675 franken and also works on a new 1575 for a 1665 i will have both movement for working at the same time.

I will do shitload of picture & mesurement, so i should sort out what extra part are needed.