When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Any Financial Experts In The Forum ?

2005SUBMARINER

The first place to start is your company; see if they offer a 401k. If they do not, get started on your own, through a brokerage house. The better full service firms are AG Edwards or Edward Jones, they are consistantly at the top of JD Power and Associates rankings. Also, they don't sell proprietary financial products (i.e. sell you there "own" funds), so you'll have better choices. They welcome both experienced and non-experienced investors.

Depending on your age, you will need to figure out if growth or income strategies are appropriate. Also you will need to figure out what monthly dollar amount (contribution) you need to make in order to reach a comfortable retirement. You may need to make catch up contributions, to get on track fast if you haven’t been saving all along. Additionally, how you’re going to pay for your daughter’s college in 17 years? ...Look into a 529 college savings Plan.

There is a lot more to it than a hot stock, or a mutual fund. Each one is different and one unlike annother may not always be what’s right for you. For any type of fund the MOST important element aside from performance is the funds Managers! after all, its realy the Managers handeling of the fund that gives the fund it's returns. Stability in management is key, and more than one manager is preferred.

Don’t go it alone to save a dollar or two. Deal with a professional; after all it’s your legacy and your family's future security.

Best wishes

Our retirement portfolio is with AG Edwards, and, after buying and selling individual stocks we decided to convert to American Funds, very boring and conservative, but a highly regarded family of mutual funds.

The portfolio has been averaging about a 10% return, with very little loss.

We're quite satisfied with the results.

The first place to start is your company; see if they offer a 401k. If they do not, get started on your own, through a brokerage house. The better full service firms are AG Edwards or Edward Jones, they are consistantly at the top of JD Power and Associates rankings. Also, they don't sell proprietary financial products (i.e. sell you there "own" funds), so you'll have better choices. They welcome both experienced and non-experienced investors.

Depending on your age, you will need to figure out if growth or income strategies are appropriate. Also you will need to figure out what monthly dollar amount (contribution) you need to make in order to reach a comfortable retirement. You may need to make catch up contributions, to get on track fast if you haven’t been saving all along. Additionally, how you’re going to pay for your daughter’s college in 17 years? ...Look into a 529 college savings Plan.

There is a lot more to it than a hot stock, or a mutual fund. Each one is different and one unlike annother may not always be what’s right for you. For any type of fund the MOST important element aside from performance is the funds Managers! after all, its realy the Managers handeling of the fund that gives the fund it's returns. Stability in management is key, and more than one manager is preferred.

Don’t go it alone to save a dollar or two. Deal with a professional; after all it’s your legacy and your family's future security.

Best wishes

THANX SO MUCH! thats alot of usefull info thanx again i will carefully do my research & hopefully go with the right people ! :yu:

thanx again !!!! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Best wishes

Since my career as a Special Agent, US Department of the Treasury, I am currently self employed as an investigator of financial crimes and securities issues.

The above post was very well put together.

I would only add that some of the names you may know better are due to heavy advertising, that does not make them better people to trust with your money. Personally, I deal with AG Edwards -- very, very few sanctions against them. In any event, don't let yourself get "Lynched."

:whistling:

Bill

Since my career as a Special Agent, US Department of the Treasury, I am currently self employed as an investigator of financial crimes and securities issues.

The above post was very well put together.

I would only add that some of the names you may know better are due to heavy advertising, that does not make them better people to trust with your money. Personally, I deal with AG Edwards -- very, very few sanctions against them. In any event, don't let yourself get "Lynched."

:whistling:

Bill

thats a big 10-4 ! thanx for the 411 on the lynch mob :whistling:

oh is JANUS fund kosher ? :)

Edited by 2005SUBMARINER

Hey, Sub:

Very good advice above. I will just add that @ this stage in the economic cycle (economy slowing, rising interest rates, high oil prices and a rapidly slumping residential real estate market), safety, very high quality and dividend paying equities are your best investment vehicle. I would suggest minimizing exposure (at this time) in investments such as small cap, mid cap and emerging markets.

Over long periods of time, the S&P 500 (index comprised of the US 500 largest corporations) outperforms over 90% of fund managers. Not many folks realize this but that is what history has demostrated. This gives you a portfolio of high quality companies plus diversification.

September and October have historically been difficult months for the US financial markets. Beginning your equity investment program in the second half of October has historically proven to be wise time to invest. Nov, Dec and Jan are historically the best performing months. Nothing like the Holidays to get investors in a good cheer. :)

With the preferential tax treatment of 401Ks and IRAs, save as much as possible on a consistent and regular basis.

Regards,

Jet

Edited by Jetsons

I would suggest minimizing exposure (at this time) in investments such as small cap, mid cap and emerging markets.

very good advice... also stay a way from bonds fo right now. Look for dividend paying funds, in a sidways or down market they at least will pay out and reduce market risk.

is JANUS fund kosher

Don’t be afraid to sit down with a licensed advisor, and have him/her run a comparison. That’s what they do. There are ton of fund managers better than janus, one of which was mentioned above .. American funds (such their bel weather AMCPX fund).

look for yourself..

American funds

Janus

Edited by hu12

thats a big 10-4 ! thanx for the 411 on the lynch mob :whistling:

oh is JANUS fund kosher ? :)

I don't have any reason to believe that Janus is known for account churning, or any such nonsense, but depending upon which of the Janus funds you fet in, you might do well, or very poorly.

The thing about investment is, strategy should be tailored to the investor. What makes sense for a thirty year old corporate attorney makes no sense at all for a retired librarian. The attorney can risk everything he has . . . he'll make more next year, but if the librarian loses her nest egg, she's done.

Here's the pearl in the pig [censored] - the doctrine of unsuitability. Most people do not know this, but if the retired librarian entrusted her nest egg to Stocks-R-Us, and they put her money in high risk investments, she could take them to arbitration and get an award, even though everything was legal, above board, and she approved every trade.

ALWAYS, ALWAYS. ALWAYS when you open an investment account, list yourself as having no knowledge or investment experience on their intake form. All brokers are required to have new investors fill out the form, and more than one investor has been burned by indicating they were more knowledgeable and experienced than they were.

Bill

Excellent advice all around, guys!

And yeah, we were "Lynched" in the past - investment advice too aggresive, and they really screwed up our account a number of times, putting moneys into the wrong account, not reporting info to the IRS correctly, other stupid, sloppy bookeeping. Horrible experience.

Janus was embroiled in the mutual fund scandal of a few years ago, I wouldn't go there. There are a few other fund families that have risen above the recent mutual fund turmoil - Vanguard, American.

I would recommend an equity indexed annuity personally for strong gains and no downside risk of capital

man you guys know your stuff ! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

thanx for all the great info , but my head feels like its going to explode :bangin: .

im going to carefully research this subject in order to try to do the best investment for my retirement :rolleyes:

thanx again every one ..

P.S. WITH ALL this great financial info we should have a RWG finanacial group .. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

man you guys know your stuff ! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

thanx for all the great info , but my head feels like its going to explode :bangin: .

im going to carefully research this subject in order to try to do the best investment for my retirement :rolleyes:

thanx again every one ..

P.S. WITH ALL this great financial info we should have a RWG finanacial group .. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I agree... send me all of your money and i will handle it...i promise i wont blow it on watches

I would recommend an equity indexed annuity personally for strong gains and no downside risk of capital

I would avoid this at all cost. Ask anyone that tries to sale you an IA what their comp is on the deal and you'll understand why they recommend it. An index fund by it's very nature minimizes risk. The cost for additional downside protection offered via an IA far out weighs the benefit in all the indexed annuities I have seen. You could also check with a pure fee based financial planner and see what they say about indexed annuities. Unless they have a brother-in-law selling them, they'll never recommend one.

Indexed annuities and the methods used to sell them are a problem for the BDs that offer them. I predict IAs will lead to large class action lawsuits over the next 5 to 10 years. Ask anyone in the compliance department at a large BD that sales IAs.

As fas as investment advice, I would encourage you to look at index funds or exchange traded indexes. I would also agree with those that recommend American Funds. They are the 2nd or 3rd largest fund family in the world and their performance is consistently strong across almost every single one of their funds.

Don't think in terms of 1 fund or a few funds. Most people need to hold a minimum of 5 funds for diversification and 8 to 10 is probably more realistic. Make sure to match your holdings with your long term goals and risk tolerence.

Indexed annuities and the methods used to sell them are a problem for the BDs that offer them. I predict IAs will lead to large class action lawsuits over the next 5 to 10 years.

yes they will...it will make the past mutual fund problem look like a walk in the park, thats for sure...

Edited by hu12

I would avoid this at all cost. Ask anyone that tries to sale you an IA what their comp is on the deal and you'll understand why they recommend it. An index fund by it's very nature minimizes risk. The cost for additional downside protection offered via an IA far out weighs the benefit in all the indexed annuities I have seen. You could also check with a pure fee based financial planner and see what they say about indexed annuities. Unless they have a brother-in-law selling them, they'll never recommend one.

Indexed annuities and the methods used to sell them are a problem for the BDs that offer them. I predict IAs will lead to large class action lawsuits over the next 5 to 10 years. Ask anyone in the compliance department at a large BD that sales IAs.

As fas as investment advice, I would encourage you to look at index funds or exchange traded indexes. I would also agree with those that recommend American Funds. They are the 2nd or 3rd largest fund family in the world and their performance is consistently strong across almost every single one of their funds.

Don't think in terms of 1 fund or a few funds. Most people need to hold a minimum of 5 funds for diversification and 8 to 10 is probably more realistic. Make sure to match your holdings with your long term goals and risk tolerence.

Spoken just like i would expect...from someone who clearly doesn't understand Fixed Indexed annuities. I would agree with all of those statement for Variable Annuities (total trash) but when the stock market is down 10% in a given year, and your Fixed Index Annuity, still goes up 3%, you will thank me. When the stock market is up 15% the following year and your product is up the full 15%, you will thank me again. It's a long term play to gain about 9% consistently, year after year... without the huge swings..

Sub,

Consider this one: S&P 500 index fund with a very low expense ratio as the result of the very low turnover. It should be a core holding.

http://quicktake.morningstar.com/Fund/Snap...mp;Symbol=VFINX

There will be a time to be more aggressive. :)

actually Jim Cramer of Mad Money recomended the S&P 500 index fund :victory:

thanx every one for all the great advise .

Spoken just like i would expect...from someone who clearly doesn't understand Fixed Indexed annuities. I would agree with all of those statement for Variable Annuities (total trash) but when the stock market is down 10% in a given year, and your Fixed Index Annuity, still goes up 3%, you will thank me. When the stock market is up 15% the following year and your product is up the full 15%, you will thank me again. It's a long term play to gain about 9% consistently, year after year... without the huge swings..

I don't understand? Spoken like a true salesman. It is an index fund wrapped in an annuity designed to provide insurance against large drops in the market, nothing complicated. BTW, what is your comp on the deal?

I can assure you I understand them, had until recently series 6, 63, 7 and 24 and a few others. The Broker Dealer I cleared through cut all IAs earlier this year because of compliance fears and they are one of the largest indenpendant BDs in the country. My previous BD, affiliated with a very large insurance company, at one point was recognized as one of the largest IA dealers in the country has cut all but a few. Of the 50 or so IAs I have seen, none were worth the cost.

There is a cost associated with wrapping an index fund, or any other security, in an annuity and that means the annuity can never equal the performance gains of the underlying security. The question is wether the down side protection is worth the additional cost of the annuity and I have yet to see an IA where this is the case.

When the stock market is up 15% the following year and your product is up the full 15%, you will thank me again.

This is the type of statement that causes so many problems for the Broker Dealers that sell IAs and causes all the sleepless nights for the compliance people. I have yet to see an IA that will do this over the long term.

Again, find me anyone that is not comped to sell IAs that actually recommends them. I won't guarranty there isn't one out there, but I have never seen one and I met with 4 fee based advisors just this week.

You can PM me if your interested and I'll gladly send my address and you can forward the prospectus for me to review. If I am wrong, I will post here.

Edited by robertrinaustin