When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How to make your Fiddy stand out in the crowd.

RWG Technical

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess you were expecting more text from me, but its kind of hard to post when you cant stop looking at those pictures, you know? :D

This build is in my humble uninformed opinion perfect.. The movement itself is as good as it gets, in an amazing shape. Kind of hard to believe its almost 90 years old eh? I'm quite certain that its also as precise as a mechanical movement gets, regardless of its age - did you know railroad grade movements had to be better than a 30 secs PER WEEK deviation? If anyone thinks the best modern mechanical movements are better than that is being brainwashed by our Swiss friends. I bet this movement can be at least 20 secs a week with some calibration.. The finish on it is flawless as well, but that is rather easy to see :D

The use of piano strings is genius on its own, I guess they even offer some basic shock-absorption (even tho they should be quite hard when compressed like this)..

The case is flawless, no concerns there either.. The dial... Ah the dial looks quite amazing as well, a really nice blend between vintage and modern, really works well. The numerals with their yellowish lume go quite well with the hands, which too look as believable as it can get.. If you could post a close up of the dial I think noone would complain. You know :)

All in all, perfect. I personally would opt for a sterile back, but thats for the future owner to decide. Either way I doubt he wont be EXTREMELY happy with this. There really isnt anything to pick at :(

Thanks for posting this again, and thanks for describing your methods, especially the cannon pin modifications. These look a tiny bit too precise of a work for my likings, I doubt I can pull something like this off.. time to start thinking how to get at least halfway there with rather limited means ;)

PS NICE GOLD CENTER WHEEL YOU GOT THERE :D

Edited by Neuuubeh

Ty mate, I'll try on my own first.

You know how everything is sweeter if you do it on your own :).

About the pendant set, did you just make a stem with the proper length and of course the square cross-section, or did you have to do something else? I was thinking that it would work provided the stem length is *just* right

The only reason you see the Hamilton's being used, is that the seconds subdial spacing is the same as the ETA 6497, so it's an easy swap. I have found in my searches that there are many many more beautiful and usable movements out there than Hamilton's. I wanted something that was not only different, but of high quality, this fits the bill nicely...

could this type pf movements be fiited into the 44mm cases?

thanks!

Not a size 12 like this, most have the mainspring barrel teeth protrude a lot and since you cant trim them off, you cant get it in the case properly I think.. ofc there are exceptions ;)

Size 10 and smaller would fit tho, The Zigmeister has already posted a size 10 fitted in a 44mm case

Well, of course you are right, hadn't thought from that point of view hehe :).

Do you think just machining out a groove inside, where the mainspring barrel would fit is enough? Or does one need to modify the case interior all the way from the thread downwards?

I'd really like putting a size 12 (although there are some interesting size 10 movements as well :D ) into a radiomir case... :)

I am not aware of any one site that lists all the tech info on these movements.

Number of jewels (17 minimum) and timed in positions and for temp are the things that make them accurate.

But be prepared for broken and worn out parts and pieces, 80 years of a pocket watch movement where you can easily access the movement normally causes damage.

Thanks.

This one was a size 12, size 10 typically fits with little modification, size 12 is much too big and the mainplate O/D has to be cut down by about 2mm to fit the case.

R, were you using a 47mm case with this installment?

I see above that you mention size 12 or 10. If one were looking for a movement to fit a PAM 127 case would these sizes be appropriate?

Is there some way of judging the grade of these movements outside of the number of jewels?

I have seen grade names and numbers so far in my quest for finding out more about these movements.

Any good resources out there R?

vly,

This is a good resource for learning about the value and quality of vintage watch movements.

http://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve

ww