When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Pam 036

manus

Hello,

I'm very new here but I learn new things and details every day.

I decided to go for a Titanium PAM. I like the looks of Titanium, because I don't like a watch to be "glossy"

I wanted the 177 but discovered that the 036 was more accurate. And I like the brown dail....

The old 036 from Josh seemed to be good, but does not exist anymore.

Kruzer adviced me the ETA Swiss version, but it has a problem with the lever. The connection points are upside down. Can this be fixed with some upgrade?

Or does anyone know a better supplier for the PAM 036?

No rep is perfect (we call that a gen ;) ). All have tradeoffs and if you are determined to make as close as possible you will be reluming and depending on the version changing the crown.

On the 36/118:

I have not seen a version with the pin in the right direction and changing it would require very careful reboring. You can improve it by reseating the pin higher in the crown guard. Some come with great crowns and other don't. Depending on the model it may also have a shorter (recessed) cannon pinion but that can be remedied with elongated cannon pinion set. On those with the better crown the biggest giveaway is the lume and recessed cannon pinion, not the crown guard. On the 118 which comes with engraved PAM bridges you can get it with the swan neck movement. On the 36 it comes with L Swiss L dial and there is some debate as to whether it came in that form versus T Swiss T. I think the general consensus among folks here and on the gen sites is that there were a few with the L dial.

On the 177:

All the same issues. If inclined you can get the swan neck movement. The H version which comes with the CDG bridges is also available with the swan neck but has the additional problems of the gen having a thicker crown guard with lever centered in the guard and a deeper back. Neither of those problems are rectifiable.

Pick you're dealer and then your poison. :)

Kruzer has provided excellent info as usual. The only thing I have to add is that I, too, have long sought out an acceptable Ti PAM and have thus far come up empty. In fact, I came really close to pulling the trigger on a mint used gen 177H for $3375 which is a great price. But common sense got the better of me and I decided to pad my 2 year old son's college savings account with that money instead!

Good luck.

Edited by chieftang

Chief-

Thanks for your kind words.

Manus

I would add one other thought if it makes you feel better. When you go to the earlier models like the 036 the consistency within the series varied greatly. In many instances PAM went to different sub-contractors which resulted slightl differences. Crown guards are no exception. Also the number of units of earlier models (200 in the case of the 36) makes it unlikely that anyone will notice. Provided of course that you relume and put in the longer cannon pinion. ;)

Kruzer has provided excellent info as usual. The only thing I have to add is that I, too, have long sought out an acceptable Ti PAM and have thus far come up empty. In fact, I came really close to pulling the trigger on a mint used gen 177H for $3375 which is a great price. But common sense got the better of me and I decided to pad my 2 year old son's college savings account with that money instead!

Good luck.

buy it......you can sell for the same price or more in a few years....think about what old pams are worth......my 2 cents.

By the way, I just noticed that Josh appears to have them again.

http://perfect-clones.com/pn03601-titanium...6497-p-774.html :)

Kruzer thanks for your help. This is the text that confuses me ( subject: a pair of Ti's):

QUOTE(leitztozeiss @ Jun 8 2006, 09:17 AM)

What's the difference between old and new 036? I'll apologize in advance if this is a widely known topic among the PAM folks.

I believe the engravings on the caseback are less accurate and the movt is different.

Eddy

I can't see the difference in the movement from Josh and the orginal 036. I thought I didn't know what to look for. But now you say this version is ok?