When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Which is a better rep: DSSD V5 or GMT Master II 116710

dimoza

They are both great watches...but entirely different. The DSSD is massive, the GMT not. The DSSD can be had in a cheap $108 dollar "lite" type version...whereas the 116710 needs to have the ETA ICHS movement to be reliable. The 116710 is much thinner so wears very differently.

I think that DSSD V5 upgraded version is better than GMT. The bezel colour of rep gmt is completeley off.... the gen colour of bezel is unreplicable... it's sometimes dark grey and sometimes black with a speech appearance...

Instead the DSSD ceramic bezel is quite near the gen

Did u do a side-by-side comparision for the GMT bezel?. The review done by By-Tor()shows quite accurate bezel color. I didn't see a GMT rep closeby, but I saw the DSSD V5 and I compared it with the gen: date window edges is sharp, but not sharp enough. Date not centered in date window. Bezel nums engraving not bold enough.

They are both great watches...but entirely different. The DSSD is massive, the GMT not. The DSSD can be had in a cheap $108 dollar "lite" type version...whereas the 116710 needs to have the ETA ICHS movement to be reliable. The 116710 is much thinner so wears very differently.

Thank you for your input. What is the ICHS ETA movement, and where can I find it. And what do you think about the DSSD V5 date window/centering and Bezel engraving compared to the GMT?

There are 3 versions of the GMT movement:

Asian 21j modded - the cheap one with varying opinions on reliability...doesn't operate the same as a Rolex gmt movement

Asian ETA Clone modded with Incorrect (Wrong) Hand Stack - ICHS - hand stack order is different from gen Rolex

Swiss ETA ICHS - considered reliable, but as with all ICHS movements, they don't function quite the same as the gen Rolex movement

SWISS ETA CHS - Works the same as the gen Rolex movement, but is often considered unreliable, expensive and hard to source

Most dealers will have the cheap Asian 21J modded, ETA ICHS, and Asian ETA ICHS. The bezel engraving on the GMT IIC can be good if you get the right one. Look for By-Tor's review and additional posts on the GMT IIc...he is one of the big authorities on it, and has posted TONNES of info comparing various versions of it. I think he got his from Precious Tim.