When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Aftermarket Anti Reflective Coating

cpt390

If you are a do it yourself'er pull the crystal out and walk into any optical shop. You can pick whatever coating you want. Alternatively, Finepics offers that service. He has an excellent optical coating source who is very reasonable. It also can be a good excuse to get that relume you have been longing for. ;)

...If you are a do it yourself'er pull the crystal out and walk into any optical shop. You can pick whatever coating you want...

All the optical / eyeglass shops that I contact could / would not perform this. I had to locate an optical engineer who runs a highly specialized shop that would apply an AR coating to my crystal.

Just my two cents...

Everywhere I call say they do not do it in house.

I even looked up the only AR coating fabrication company in my state and they turned me down as well..

Try the biggest eyeglass store you can find in your area. I think it depends on your local shop--I've had one store (same parent company) tell me no way and another sure no problem. I bet it would help if you go in when one of the kids needs an eye exam, or you need a pair of glasses/sungalsses etc.--the implied quid pro quo. My 51 got done perfectly for $48 with a choice of several coatings.

I went through a search on this here in Australia late last year....

I beagan talking to optical shops here around Australia, with no luck, they just looked at me funny, sort of like how a dog looks at you when you do something they don't understand :lol:

So... went on to a well known scientific research company here and tried to drill down into a department that specializes in optics... got a lot of good information and finally reached the company that does most of the optical coating for the country. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Talked to the owner there, nice guy and all.... But got that "Never saw one of those before" feeling from him, but he said he would "Give it a go". :blink:

Sent a 196 crystal to him, waited a few weeks, after a few phone calls, he informed me that they didn't have the right die to hold the crystal, so he sent it back...

Now I'm not sure what kind of die they'd need to hold the crystal during the process, but I'd be willing to bet that it wouldn't have to be too high tech, probably just a hole in a piece of aluminum with a slightly larger hole in it to place the crystal. It would probably be pretty easy to make

I didn't pursue it much further at the time due to time constraints, but I'm about to give it another try when I have some time. Hopefully this time it may work :victory:

At the moment I'm looking to send it to Finepics but even Finepics agrees, the shipping back and forth across the pond will not be cheap.

Not to mention the lousy tanking dollar right now.

If you are in the DC metro area, I can recommend someone to you. Let me know...