When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Second hand slightly loose

concor2

I just got my first watch. It looks great (see below) and I am very happy with it. Problem is, the second hand has one or two millimeters play depending on how you turn or rotate the watch caused by gravity. It's a little loose. I am a watch noob, but is it possible to fix this? Like opening it up and turn some screw or put some glue somewhere? It has a Miyota movement in it. Here is the manual and blue print: http://www.citizen.co.jp/miyota_mvt/download/pdf/spec_0S62.pdf and http://www.citizen.co.jp/miyota_mvt/download/pdf/draw_0S62.pdf

270020-44_sml1.jpg

Technically your dealer could repair it but for the hassle of returning, the wait, etc, it's not worth it.

[EDITED POST]

I'm assuming you're talking about the chrono second hand. I'm no watchmaker...but it could possibly be something simple or more serious than just not being seated in the cannon pinion properly.

The problem could come from a number of areas. In it's simplest form, it could be that the second hand is just not seated properly in the cannon pinion. This is a quick fix that merely involves pressing the chrono second hand back in place properly. You could take it to any local watch repair guy in a mall or whatever, tell them you have a rep and that you need the second hand pushed back on. It will take all of 20mins tops, and won't cost a lot. Or, you can try and to it yourself.

In it's more complex form, the chrono second hand or the cannon pinion are malformed and need some kind of adjustment. It's possible the second hand might need to be glued...and that will take more time...and I would suggest you leave that to a repair guy to do if this is your first time working on something like this.

Hi Toadtorrent. Yes, the large second hand is from the chronometer. What you are saying sounds good to me. Pushing the second hand back on the pinion, whatever that is :) So, how do I do that? Open it up and push carefully on top of the center axle where all three hands are turning on? Or perhaps something from the back? I don't mind opening it up, it was not that expensive and I see it like part of the fun anyway.

yes...open it up. You will need to remove the stem. There will be a little button by the stem you push (look for the movement swap tutorial in my signature called "Redux")to release the stem. You might have some movement holder tabs that need unscrewing of something...drop the movement out with the dial. Wiggle the chrono second hand where you want it...and try pushing down on it with a clipped pointy toothpickwith a dent in the middle so it doesn't scratch the hand.

The hand will have a pin that fits in the middle down a shaft. Make sure that is in right as you don't want to bend anything.

Is this a chronograph movement or does the second hand run all the time when the watch is running?

Your description sounds like you have an indirect center seconds hand movement. On this movement when the hand is going down, towards gravity, it tends to jump around...when it goes up, against gravity, it is smooth. If you turn the watch upside down the problem shifts from one side to the other.

If this sounds like your watch, you don't have a problem, it's normal and can't be fixed...

Is this a chronograph movement or does the second hand run all the time when the watch is running?

Your description sounds like you have an indirect center seconds hand movement. On this movement when the hand is going down, towards gravity, it tends to jump around...when it goes up, against gravity, it is smooth. If you turn the watch upside down the problem shifts from one side to the other.

If this sounds like your watch, you don't have a problem, it's normal and can't be fixed...

This sounds like my problem yes. The center second hand indeed does not move, only when the stopwatch is started. It doesn't exactly jump around, but it can move freely about 1 millimeter from left to right depending on how gravity is pulling on it, even when it stands still. I can imagine if it has even more play, that it will jump around when it is moving. I will post some photographs later, just to be 100% sure of no cure... I was quite excited to be about to open it :)