When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Paul Newman

lukeaiston

Hey Guys,

I'm really liking it here thumbsupsmileyanim.gif, but i digress.

I have always loved the look of the "Paul Newman" Daytona, such a classy look for such a sporty watch and it only gets better with time.

So, I'm in the market to purchase one, i have found one from Josh, however if there are any other ones out there that are better, do tell.

I would prefer a 37mm with a hand winding movement and correct sub-dial spacing is a must, more of an accurate replication in my opinion.

Here's my current favorite,

http://www.jpc8118.c...nos-p-3622.html

post-24728-125608359108_thumb.jpg

Please tell me what you guys think of it and if its worth it, and if there are any others out there worth looking at.

Thanks to all,

Luke

Guest HaloArchive

Wellll... Subdial spacing is horrid along with lots of other things.... If you want a nice one, talk to Spin and he will hook you up with a correct one for $600 shipped to your face :)

Wellll... Subdial spacing is horrid along with lots of other things.... If you want a nice one, talk to Spin and he will hook you up with a correct one for $600 shipped to your face :)

Thanks for the input, but who is this "DW" character who is always associated with vintage daytonas

Thanks

Luke

Edited by lukeaiston

'DW' = David Wong, a source for vintage Daytona accoutrement, dials and case sets that are necessary to replicate the subdial spacing and the asymmetrical pusher arrangement of the Valjoux 72 movement used in the vintage.

Halo's suggestion of contacting member 'spinmaster' to source a complete piece is a standard and tried route. Or, other opportunities present themselves from time to time. <link>

This is a very costly endeavor to do properly.

Good luck.

To start off with...I'm not a Daytona purist. If I was , I would have to say a DW or Spinmaster piece is the route to go...but for $600, this is a significant purchase compared with one of the other options.

I have 2 6263's, both with the Seagull ST19 manual wind movement. The movement is rock solid and reliable, and the font for the "Rolex Cosmograph" is not so heavy and bold. Sorry for the crap pics.

IMG_0039_s.jpg

I have the panda dial version as well as the black/red:

pic0465.jpg

These versions I have are loaded with flaws:

• Incorrect trip-lock crown
  • Symmetrical chrono pushers
  • Wrong crystal shape
  • Incorrect bracelets
  • etc

In spite of this...I love them. They are beautiful watches...and you have to figure out if going for accuracy is that important to you. If not, there are significantly cheaper alternatives worth considering.