When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Starting to get ready for my 6538 BOND sub

perry563

I just bought a 1953 Rolex with a 1030 movement. I could not paste the direct link to the watch but please go HERE....

www.watchcompany.com

And look for this watch..ROLEX OYSTER PERPETUAL OYSTER DEPLOYMENT white/silver dial with rivited bracelet. It says 1973 but that was a misprint. Why do those end links fit so sloppily? Can they be fixed?

I paid less than 1500 USD.

First what does everyone think of the watch? Im thinking its too nice to breakup to get the movement for a rep 6538!

My plan is to now save up the next few months to get that Yuki case. Do you think I could install the dial and hands myself as well as installing everything into that Yuki case?

The watch looks nice (I have a 1030-powered OP Date of similar vintage), but I think the bracelet may be a franken (composed of parts from multiple sources, possibly including rep bracelet parts - impossible to tell for sure based on those pics).

Whether you can sacrifice it for your 6538 is up to you (my OPD was purchased to power a project, but I liked the OPD so much that it has become part of my permanent collection)

110151.jpg

As has been said many times, these aftermarket cases are not made to the same to exact specs & there is little QC overseeing the manufacturing process, so there is often some case-to-case variability. Rarely, are these projects simple step-by-step assemblies. Often, they are tedious, trying & character-building (& learning) experiences. If you are well-versed in general watchmaking & have the proper equipment (dremel, files, sandpaper, rouge, etc), then it is just a matter of putting in the time & effort & dealing with the inevitable issues that pop up along the way. But without the tools, knowledge & experience, it is anybody's guess as to whether you will be able to do it yourself. Again, as has been said, you should use the search feature to familiarize yourself with other members' construction projects before embarking on your own. This will save you alot of time, frustration & money. Well, maybe not alot. :whistling: