When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Servicing an RB II

Bork99

Had my eye on the RB II for a while. It would be my first AP, and the most expensive rep I've bought to date, so the sec @ 12 horror stories have me a bit concerned. Angus and Peter both offer movement servicing for US$ 120 at the time of purchase. Since I don't know any good watchmakers in my area (Johannesburg, South Africa) this seems like a good way to go.

Has anyone got any experience with the servicing these fellows offer? Is it on a par with good watchmakers elsewhere, or should I rather keep looking locally?

And/or anyone happen to know of watchmakers in my neighbourhood that do good work and will work on reps? Sooner or later I'm going to need one! :-)

I usually don't trust the dealers for servicing.

Maybe they service it maybe they don't ; no way to tell and you pay an extra $120

Both Angus and Peter are in a sense sales reps of the same factory, it is not them doing any servicing or in most cases even ever touching your watch. They place an order at the factory and the factory then drop ships the watch to you.

The factory lies to them, they pass along the lie. Or maybe not, maybe they really fully service it at the factory but that is the chance you would be taking.

Personally I always found this outrages. Paying big money for these reps and still have to pay extra for servicing. I can't complaint if the rep cost USD100 but for those asking for 500-600 bucks shouldn't we desrver to have a properly working product?

Your outrage is definitely shared and warranted given the price.

In my view the problem is that in order to make the reps more accurate in the case of the seconds at 12, we have a factory installing modules to an overwise good movement. This extra step in my opinion is being done by non-watchsmiths and the result is what we see and really they all need a servicing unless you get real lucky.

A regular Asian 7750 should be fine for a few years without a service but a modded one you never know.