When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How to adjust PAM's

scotty

Hi all....

2 manual PAM's of mine are running a bit fast. A 183 and a 113 - manual unitas Swiss (believed true) /Chinese/Swinese 6947 movements.

Both have needle adjuster like pic here (this is the 113 before a change to caseback. The 183 has the Cotes Genevre finish)

post-3909-125913904987_thumb.jpg

They are gaining like a minute over 1.5 - 2 days. So my question is - for slowing them down a fraction, is it as simple as popping the back off and nudging the needle adjuster slightly towards the '-' side?

Do you have to loosen any screws in the process, or dismount the movement from the case?

Anyone have a simple idiots (that's me) step-by-step guide as to how to do this? And what tools necessary?

Or should I refrain from potentially buggering these up, and head to a watchsmith??

All help gratefully received....

If you move the arm CCW, the arrow shaped one on the balance cock on the top of the picture, you can slow the rate down.

DO NOT go anywhere near the stud or regulator arms that you see the hairspring attached and passing through, the two arms that stick out past the balance cock at the 4 and 2 o'clock positions in your picture, touch them and most likely you will damage something.

Make sure to only move the arm about 1mm, wind the watches fully and set them and check your results. If you have a stiff enough cannon pinion, you can easily stop the movement from running, in effect hacking it, by holding pressure on the crown in the CCW direction in the winding position. This way you can synchronize the seconds hand and check your results easier.

Without a timer it's really hit and miss, and can be frustrating to try and adjust them. If you do have a watchmaker locally, that is your best value.

Mr Zig. Thankyou very much......a simple explanation.....even I can follow that :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I assume moving the arm means at the narrow tip of the arrow, with say the smallest screwdriver I have so as not to touch anything else?

Or a wooden toothpick better to avoid scratching any surfaces?

Moving simply means 'pushing' gently?

Many thanks...

You are correct on all counts.

Toothpick works fine, just make sure a piece doesn't break free and jam in the movement.

And yes, I am referring to the arm at the 11 o'clock position and the tip of it when I say 1mm or so. Place your toothpick on the balance cock and gently slide the arm in the CCW direction, if you move it too far, you can always move it back.

Without a timer, it's anyone's guess how far equals to how much of a rate change, anything less than 20 seconds per day accuracy is great, the ETA specs are no better than this for a correctly serviced and oiled and adjusted movement.

Your welcome :)