When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

6152/1... 47mm of vintage love...

projectologist

I originally purchased the watch from VDB earlier this year. I then sold it to a member, who in turn sold it to another member, who just recently sold it back to me. :bangin:

After getting it back I started to do some fine-tuning of the case, cg and crown. The cg was re-brushed per spec (most rep versions appear to have more of a satin finish) and a new lever pin was fabricated as the original was starting to rust (I also wanted it to extend a little more beyond the top surface per gen). I smoothed the crown edges slightly and re-polished it. I reshaped the case on the cg side as it was recessed a little too much in the area where the cg insets. It was a full 1mm deep and is now barely perceptible (I first noticed this in Volker's book which illustrates this with complete tear-down pics). Makes a difference too in that more of the cg is revealed, giving it that chunkier appearance I like about the vintage Panerai.

Finally, I put a few more scratches and pecks on the case set and plex, then got out the rouge and gave it all a good polish. I've come to realized that the vintage Panerai were regularly serviced back in the day, and because these watches saw daily use and abuse, dings and scratches were constantly being polished out. Close study of Volker's book bears this out as almost all of the featured watches show quite a bit of wear which has been softened by years service and re-polishing.

The plex polished up pretty easily and has a nice, well-used appearance when viewed at different angles, never distracting when viewed straight on. T's hands arrived last week and will be one of the final touches I'll be adding once I do the lume.

A painted Kevin ammo strap is on the way and that should complete the project... for now anyway :whistling:

Some iPhone pics playing around with a new photo app.

MM01a.jpg

MM03a.jpg

MM04a.jpg

T_hands01.jpg

Looking really good. Wear that one well. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Thanks! It's my new fiddy... don't have to worry about fonts, AR, movement, serial # etc. :D

wow... i wonder when i'll be able to afford one of VDB's watches rolleyes.gif

Not so bad if you get one w/o any gen parts put into the build...

Had some inquiries asking which photo app I had on my phone. Here's a link to a demo...

http://www.thebestcamera.com/app.html

That one looks great. The lugs look a bit chunkier than on DSN. Do you know what was the base case on which VDB built this?

I posed the same question to him awhile back and only got a "smiley" response. The area between the lugs is properly engraved as well.

I do know that he bought an old-school engraving machine earlier this year.

I posed the same question to him awhile back and only got a "smiley" response. The area between the lugs is properly engraved as well.

I do know that he bought an old-school engraving machine earlier this year.

VDB is getting really good with his stuff. Had to admire his dedication and skills on vintage pams.