When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

An open letter to those I may offend...

ThinkBachs

My post can be removed, but my opinions and convictions stand firm. I will always look to provide an objective opinion when I see posts or threads that may lead individuals to make a mistake. I've been obsessing over finding the best DSSD for longer than probably anyone here. Hours of comparing reps to the genuine article have given me a great deal of insight about the subtleties in the differences between the past failings of dealers and mfrs who have presented us with 1:1, ultimate, ultimate ultimate....

Lanikai is the kind of guy you just want to give a great big hug, and I have a great deal of respect for him. That doesn't mean that I won't feel a sense of obligation to help those that exclaim "fantastic" or "great watch!" when there may be else worth considering that has appreciable benefits over the subject of adoration. Pointing out that a dealer has had an issue with customers in the past elsewhere is not a bad thing- unless you are that dealer. If I'm wrong, I'm glad to know it. It means that I've learned something today. If I've helped someone to achieve or acquire something better, I accept being censored and unsupported as part of the process. I value all opinions, and strive to utilize them to make mine better. The one thing that I do not accept is a closed mind. Reviews are opinions with in-depth supporting evidence. In my mind, challenging that evidence when valid contradictory facts exist is an important part of ensuring that there is some balance. It's not an attempt to discredit the individual, but an effort to be of service to the community.

So, when posts are removed or edited you can either shout HURRAY! and close your eyes to opposing opinion and or facts provided by others, or you can appreciate that someone out there has the best intentions to ensure that you are aware of information not presented.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend."

Thomas Jefferson

:drinks:

I've been obsessing over finding the best DSSD for longer than probably anyone here. Hours of comparing reps to the genuine article have given me a great deal of insight about the subtleties in the differences between the past failings of dealers and mfrs who have presented us with 1:1, ultimate, ultimate ultimate....

I think you're the kind of dude who should but a gen. You're just going to drive yourself nuts buying reps. Old Rob from Texas was like you, obsessing endlessly over crown guards, crystal height, etc. Drove his wife nuts so she gave him the okay to get a used Sub. Now old Texas Rob's happy! :D

There is a "Time and Place" ..

often the best intentions can be misconstrued and taken out of context... but in the case of my review of the DSSD.. it was merely a matter of the proper display of the "competing" model..and the time and place that it was shown was out of context. and not an outcome borne of ego nor fear of comparisons..I respect Chris as much as I do Joshua and as such did not feel that posting the ET version of the watch was a proper thing to do.. nor the proper venue.

At times as one doing reviews you need to be sensitive to what other dealers have going on in their business and respect that profile.

To me, "Honesty without compassion is Brutality"... and the main point is inevitably, you would be pitting one dealer against another on an open forum.. a very good recipe for a divided community and flaming ones thread, to the point of chaos.. and not controlled chaos...

I read many, many posts were the OP is posting.. "Buy from dealer XXXX ,..he is the best, don't buy from the Cartel"...(yet all dealers have made the same mistakes and are not in control 100 with what the makers send out..)

I for one do not claim this of any dealer nor have I ever posted a review with my dealers name on it.. and have always stated that it is up to the individual who he/she buy's the rep from..and others post up the dealer all the time.

I get inundated with PM's 24 hours a day.. and sleep with my Blackberry next to my head .. this I do for my business to be available 24/7 365 day's a year.. even when I was being asked if I wanted "last rights" administered in ICU awhile back.. I had my BB with me... and for my email that is linked to the forum to go off at all hours of the night is tolerable but I would like to avoid it if possible... and this was because members want to know who I got the rep I reviewed from.

There have been some who have commented on me, and after doing reviews for 2 years .. all of a sudden say, I am "playing favorites" in naming Perfect Clones in my review.. well.. to tell it straight.. Joshua has been working on a corrected DSSD for close to a year now.. and the details had to be worked out, date window crystal.. it took a long time and he was responsible for the outcome on this one, although others will share in the sales.. so why shouldn't I give credit where credit is due.???

No one is closing ranks and playing favs.. and most of all, no one is shutting out info to the membership.. on the contrary .. with these reviews I am attempting to show it "all" with my pics and comments.. otherwise I would take a wide angle lens at a substantial distance and add comments that would be left to interpretation.

But mostly .. I need to respect the other dealer who has a version of the same model out, and the member who does the reviews for that dealer.

information is what RWG is all about... I reviewed different versions by the same dealer .. but in my reviews I "do not" nor will I allow other dealers pics.. weather good or bad, be posted, and that thread become a stage for pitting one dealer against another... because no matter how you spin it, it is not just the model behind the comparison , it is human beings backing that model .. that is the bottom line.

There have been times where members ask "permission" from the member whose pics they would like to use on other fora's .. small community forums outside of the big 3 rep foras.. not a problem.. proper protocol.. me thinks

I stated on the DSSD review thread after the fact,.. that I was sure the pics from another dealer was not done maliciously..

As thinkbachs hold true to his values ..which I'm sure are honourable... I must hold true to mine..

So in closing .. "I" requested that the pics from another dealer be removed for all of the above reasons.. and not because I did not want to allow another member to voice an opinion..

I hope that clarifies my thought's .. or some of them anyway :)

AC/Lani