When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Ar Before Or After Cyclops Installation?

archibald

I know this has been covered, but I can't find the thread at either board:

I have a non AR sapphire crystal and a non-AR sapphire cyclops. Should I have the crystal AR coated before or after I put on the cyclops? Or should I have them AR coated separately? Thanks guys...

I know this has been covered, but I can't find the thread at either board:

I have a non AR sapphire crystal and a non-AR sapphire cyclops. Should I have the crystal AR coated before or after I put on the cyclops? Or should I have them AR coated separately? Thanks guys...

Coat them together after the cyclops is fixed to the crystal - it's much easier and much better that way.

If you do coat the outside, make sure it is coated after the installation of the cyclops. Otherwise you will get visible rings beneath the cyclops.

^^^^ from what I recall of previous discussion.

Not true - PAM's are only coated on the inside and a standard Mag Flouride coat will eventually scratch and wear off. You will get Newtons rings when you coat a sapphire crystal with a glass cyclops as the coating recipe for sapphire is not compatible with glass. Another reason to coat after attaching the sapphire cyclops is because the glue that holds it on will not works as well if the crystal is coated first. All of mine will have the new cyclops fixed then AR'd on the inside only.

Not true - PAM's are only coated on the inside and a standard Mag Flouride coat will eventually scratch and wear off. You will get Newtons rings when you coat a sapphire crystal with a glass cyclops as the coating recipe for sapphire is not compatible with glass. Another reason to coat after attaching the sapphire cyclops is because the glue that holds it on will not works as well if the crystal is coated first. All of mine will have the new cyclops fixed then AR'd on the inside only.

Thanks, finepics...maybe I'll just send it to you! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

It's a PAM so it would mean coating the outside--but that's not a bad idea if the AR is durable enough. Any idea if it would be too easily scratched?

Don't coat the outside. The AR coating on my glasses lasts about a year before I need to redo it - no matter how much I baby them with the special cloths, etc... And I only wear them at night after taking the contacts out. AR coating is very undurable. Inside only!!!

• 1 month later...

Found this thread with a search.

I'm contemplating buying a new crystal with upgraded cyclops from Davidsen, which don't come with AR coating. What are the advantages of the coating? IN other words, what performance am I giving up by trading my current AR coated crystal?