When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

PAM 90 power reserve with jumpy second hand

mysql

I just got a power reserve 90 (luminor).

This is one seriously sweet watch.

Anyway, I don't know what the movement is inside. The second hand is a bit jumpy at 12 o clock and 6 o clock. The dealer I bought it from said to shake it up for a few minutes.

Anyone have a clue if shaking it will help? Or any other methods to get this smoothed out without having it serviced? I was quoted a price equal to what I paid for the watch to get it serviced .. so would like to avoid that if at all possible.

Edited by mysql

I recently purchase two Pam's with Asian automatic movements.

Both initially had some erratic, (jumpy) second hands.

Would seem to pause then surge ahead.

Kept good time though.

Was annoying to watch this happen.

Put them on a watch winder for a week and they both improved.

New movements need to be broken in.

This will likely smooth out with a little time.

very odd, i got a ttk 090 and it was smooth as silk from day 1

sorry i can't add any more, but i suspect as well that it just needs to be broken in a bit. i did however have that happen with a cheapo breitling rep and it is still somewhat choppy to this day. i've never bothered to get it serviced or checked out since that would easily be more than the cost of the watch itself.

the point that the second hand gets choppy moves around. It used to be at 12 and 6, now it's sometimes at 12, somtimes at 4, etc.

Is a choppy second hand enough to warrent asking for a swap from a dealer? How long should I wait to see if it breaks in?

I really like this watch - it's the nicest of the 3 reps I have bought, but the choppy hand irks the crap out of me.

Honestly....I got one for a friend, and it did the same thing...the chop really wasn't too bad...dunno how bad yours is.

I tend to wait until I have a REAL issue before I begin to tax the good graces of the dealer. If the chop is really bad, then it could be a bad movement and need exchange....otherwise, I wouldn't press it with the dealer...just MHO...do what you feel is appropriate.

The chop is .. anywhere from 2 to 3 seconds where the hand will just pause before moving again. It will pause one to three times in a row before getting smooth again.

The watch seems to keep time so far, but with the second hand being choppy, I don't think I'd want to show the watch to anyone.

This is an automatic but you do need to wind it up before wearing it if you have not already done that. Wearing it then keeps the mainspring topped up. Usually choppy second hands are a result of poorly cut/meshing gears in the train. If the movt is keeping good time despite the problem then that is where my suspicions lie. Only way to really cure this is to get it exchanged

and that's every single minute?

Yes, it usually happens twice every minute on opposite sides of the dial (eg; 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock) it will stop moving then jerk around 1-3 seconds after stopping. It will jerk around 1-3 times in a row before going smooth.

I've never seen it make it around the dial without jumping around :/

This is an automatic but you do need to wind it up before wearing it if you have not already done that. Wearing it then keeps the mainspring topped up. Usually choppy second hands are a result of poorly cut/meshing gears in the train. If the movt is keeping good time despite the problem then that is where my suspicions lie. Only way to really cure this is to get it exchanged

I'm told it's an asian movement (No idea what the exact movement is though). I wound it up to 40 (on the power reserve), let it drop down to 20, and wound it up again. The watch has been keeping perfect time. I haven't worn it (The bracelet is too large and I haven't gotten it resized), so it's been sitting in the box it came in.

I just PM'ed the dealer I bought it from to read this thread and left it to him if he would do an exchange for me (I offered to pay shipping - the watch is still unused condition).

Edited by mysql

Well typically Asian models use inderect center seconds, in other words, a large diameter gear driving a small one...

This problem you identified is probably related to gravity, if the hand is going against gravity it tends to be smooth, if going towards it, it tends to be jumpy. All becasue of the type of drive and the spacing between the driven and driving gears.

Try this, hold the watch horizontal with the dial facing you, look at it as it goes from 6-12 is it smooth? Now watch it as it goes from 12 -6 is it jumpy? My guess is yes.

Running in, overhaul, oil, whatever, will not correct this, it's the way it is.

The Genuine Miyota manual movement is the same design as this one, and does the same thing, maybe not as pronounced, but still there...

You can't fix it, and it does not affect accuracy or reliability.

RG

EDIT

Just noted the video, my comments were more directed towards a large center seconds design, not so much the one you have with seconds at 9 (I did not know the layout of the dial from your initial comments).

The seconds on this one are from the second wheel, and it should NOT be jumpy like this, my above comments are for center seconds, not these.

Looks like the hand is loose on the shaft...

I doubt the movement is acting this way, as it would probably stop, so my guess is a hand issue...

RG

Well typically Asian models use inderect center seconds, in other words, a large diameter gear driving a small one...

This problem you identified is probably related to gravity, if the hand is going against gravity it tends to be smooth, if going towards it, it tends to be jumpy. All becasue of the type of drive and the spacing between the driven and driving gears.

I've tried holding it at different angles, it always reacts the same way. My 7750 Omega has the second dial in the same location and has no issues :(

mysql,

judging on the power reserve gauge in your video your watch does not look as a low-cost rep (maybe one from Joshua?)

If so, I think that you should definitely call for a replacement.

Alternatively, being The Zigmeister inclined on a loose hand problem, you could ask your watchsmith to give the hand's tube a gentle narrowing. The outcome is uncertain, though, and this could prevent you from asking for a replacement.

mysql,

judging on the power reserve gauge in your video your watch does not look as a low-cost rep (maybe one from Joshua?)

If so, I think that you should definitely call for a replacement.

It wasn't a low cost one - but I'm not going to mention dealer name until the situation has come to some conclusion.

I don't want to add to the random unnecessary bitching about dealers on the boards when we know there will always be some bumps in the road.

My PAM 90 had the same problem and the seller (probably the same seller as for yours as I got the "shake it" comment also) exchanged it and the replacement did the exact same thing.

Bottom line.....nice looking watch but a cheap movement in a not so inexpensive watch for an aisan movement. It is too late for me but I would just ask for a refund!!

TimeShare

It wasn't a low cost one - but I'm not going to mention dealer name until the situation has come to some conclusion.

I don't want to add to the random unnecessary bitching about dealers on the boards when we know there will always be some bumps in the road.