When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

chanel j12 removing crystal

BradAfc

I recently purchased a chanel j12 for the girlfriend the white version of this

chanel-j12-watch-pic11582.jpg

but the little hand on the dial above the 6 has fallen off shes not bothered but i have got to get it out as its moving around in the watch also the little hour hand is slightly out so i would like to just move it is it hard to do ?

i was thinking of taking caseback off and want to look at movement etc

when i brought it i thought it was quartz but when i got it its winding ....is there a certain way to wind the watch ?? how long for ??

this will be my first watch i will be opening and looking at and she really likes the watch but hates the hand moving around she just wants it out

thanks

brad

You can't remove the crystal unless you remove the movement, as the crystal needs to be pressed out from behind/inside the case. At this point, you'd already have the movement out and can remedy the loose hand anyways.

Removing the movement shouldn't be too terribly bad. I did it on my wife's old J12; the case should be 3pcs sandwiched together by the case and inner movement ring:

IMG_5123.jpg

IMG_5127.jpg

IMG_5129.jpg

IMG_5130.jpg

Not a terribly difficult job, but if the movement is automatic, you may want to be familiar with the process for releasing the stem on that particular movement (i.e. some movements require the stem to be released in the winding position, while others need to be released in the time setting position). Releasing the stem in the wrong position may botch up the keyless works, which will require removal of the hands, dial etc. to fix, as the keyless works will be underneath these parts.

Cheers mate any ideas what ishould so then before I remove the stem whether I should do this is the time setting position or winding pos?

Also just noticed the hour hand seems bent as when minute hand gets near it stops the minute hand from moving I have turned the hands and everytime it gets near the hour hand I have to turn it a bit harder like there's a bit of friction would I be able to push it down without removing the hands as I know this is a hard and tricky job