When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Evolution Of Reps

none

Hi there,

I have noticed that reps seem to get better and better over time. However, some reps of a couple of years ago were better than present-day reps.

Do reps in general get better over time or not? Any ideas on this topic? By the way, I know there was a thread about this some time ago, but I can't find it anymore.

Thanks!

Hi there,

I have noticed that reps seem to get better and better over time. However, some reps of a couple of years ago were better than present-day reps.

Do reps in general get better over time or not? Any ideas on this topic? By the way, I know there was a thread about this some time ago, but I can't find it anymore.

Thanks!

I think reps generally do improve, however, there are exceptions to every rule. The Omega SMP from a couple of years ago was more accurate than the current reps. The PO peaked at the 4th gen version and nothing has so far managed to surpass that.

If 99% of the reps get better (let's assume this is true) it makes me feel stupid to buy reps at this specific moment... just the knowledge that within no time there will be a better one out there... it makes you crazy hahaha. I guess it's like buying a computer.

Do you believe in a "internet" factor wich have contributed to improve quality of rep ?

I believe in the competition between factories that has increased the quality.

Of all the replicas made, most are useless junk we'd never even look at. These junkers sell by the bucket-load.

There is definitely no hard and fast rule. The old school 7753 196 and 188 were better than the new 7753's. But it first took an initial 7750 only version. Josh's 036 Pam is still the best of the titanium pieces, IMHO. A number of the less popular names come out with only version and ,poof, they are gone. On the other hand many more reps do improve with time. But the trickiest part is that they often peak before the last version - 4rth gen 1950, etc. So buying these reps is always a risk no matter what the generation. What you can't gauge is how well a rep of a particular model will sell. If they sell well factories will continue to produce them. Or another factory will pick up production when the initial one stops. I am referring only to non-canal street quality reps.

I find the best approach is to look at the rep being offered objectively and decide for yourself whether that version is close enough to the gen that you will be happy (assuming you are concerned with aesthetic accuracy). On bettter reps with a good movement it can be worthwhile to mod them if so inclined. I love modding them because it feels like you have gotten a new and inproved rep.

What is pretty clear is that 9 times out of 10 the price will fall if you show a little patience. :)