When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Problems with Omega PO

Aussie 1

Give me a break! How many times does a guy have to apologise?

How to Apologize

Use humor when appropriate. Some self-deprecating humor can break the tension and cause you both to laugh. I've found that drawing little cartoons of me and my mishap can instantly dissipate my wife's anger. Note that I said, when appropriate. If you cheated on your girlfriend, don't crack jokes or make cartoons about it. "And see in this panel, that's me making out with your best friend."

Be sincere. This is the cardinal rule of apologies. An insincere apology is in some ways worse than no apology at all. The person's hurt over your offense will merely be compounded by their anger at your hypocrisy. An insincere apology may take the form of saying you're sorry but saying it in such a way that your lack of contrition is patently manifest. Another form is the famous "I'm sorry you're sorry" apology. This apology admits no fault but pretends like saying you're sorry that the person was hurt or is angry is still pretty big of you. Don't bother; it will make the person want to stab with you a trident.

Take complete responsibility. Never, ever make any excuses while you're apologizing. They instantly ruin the weight and sincerity of your confession. Don't use any "buts." As in "I'm really sorry that happened, but…." A man takes full responsibility for his mistakes.

Express your understanding of why you were wrong and the weight of your mistake. A person wants to know that you fully understand the seriousness of the situation, that you have thought through exactly why what you did was wrong and the full consequences of your actions. Nobody wants to hear an apology from someone who clearly doesn't know why they're in the wrong but feels like apologizing is what they're "supposed" to do.

Offer to make restitution. This is a key part of the apology process. You should almost always offer to try in any way you can to make up for your misdeed. This obviously isn't always possible. If you break your wife's 5th generation family heirloom vase, you can't go to Target and buy a replacement. But if a situation can be fixed and rectified, that you should pledge to do whatever it takes to do so.

Pledge better behavior in the future. Notice that I said pledge and not promise. While some would argue that if you're really sorry, you'll never make the same mistake again, our failings as human beings dictates otherwise. I might be truly sorry for losing my temper on someone, but I'm pretty sure that no matter how hard I try, it's probably going to happen again somewhere down the line. When you promise someone that something is never going to happen again, you're setting yourself up for a huge rift to develop if it does. The person will be justifiably doubly hurt, because after all, "You promised!" There are of course some things that you can be almost 100% sure you'll never do again, and if you feel absolutely confident in that, then make a promise. But generally you should simply pledge that you're going to be working hard on fixing whatever personality or behavioral faults led to your current offense. You can promise that you're going to be making an effort to change and turn things around.

Prove your contrition with your actions. In the end, words will matter very little if your actions don't match them. After you've apologized, stop dwelling on it. Simply start acting in a way that demonstrates the sincerity of your apology.

Move on. Once you've given your sincere apology, don't apologize again. Having you continually apologize may be what the offended party thinks they want from you and it may make them feel better in the short term. But in the long term, it's going to ruin the relationship. If you continue to grovel then you'll always be in the inferior position instead of having the person treat you like an equal. Deep down they won't be respecting you as a man. Either the person accepts your apology or they don't. If they do, then there's no need to keep groveling. If they don't, then the person doesn't trust you and the relationship has other problems that need to be fixed.

Edited by Gran