When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

V2 Skyland subdial hand tube color NOT a flaw

jj69

I spent some time reading up on the various Skyland rep versions. Everyone (including Yodap's guide) seems to be in agreement that the white color of the subdial hand tubes on the V2 version is incorrect, while the black hand tubes on the V1/V2 is correct.

But why are the hand tubes in every gen photo I see actually WHITE like the V2?

Here's just one example on TZ:

http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=tree&goto=4867986&rid=0

Is this just a normal variation in the gens, or has Breitling updated this model?

I was just reading on a gen forum that for 2010 they have changed the name of the Avenger Skyland to just plain "Avenger." Apparently, there are some minor changes. People are focusing on the stencil numbers. They were white on the Skyland dial and they're supposedly brushed steel on the 2010 version. Most prefer the white Skyland numbers.

The models shown in my links above appear to be pre-2010 Skyland models (not sure if the 2010's are even out yet). It's possible the change to white tubes is something they've been in the process of transitioning to for the 2010 model. Hence the Skyland versions we are seeing that already have them.

Or, it's possible that this is just a normal variation in the gens. I've seen rep collectors go way too far in picking apart minute details of watches only to find they are normal, but significant, variations that appear in the gens as well. Certain IWC and Hublot models are good examples.

We have to keep in mind that gens, just like reps, are not really produced by one "factory." They are assembled from parts outsourced to various factories that specialize in component parts like hands, dials, crystals, clasps, findings, or whatever. If the contract with Factory A expires and Factory B can provide the same quality parts at a lower price, so be it. IMO that's where a lot of these minor variations begin.