When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Watch not Winding

zzipy

I bought Tag Link (non chrono) from Andrew around 15 months ago and that was my daily beater. It crapped out on me about 6 months ago at which point I opened the back to realize that it was not an ETA as promised on the Andrew. I wrote to Andrew and he immediately sent me another movement (which is also a clone). The new movement is day - date, while the watch is date only.

I waited for a few months to have the movement installed as I don't feel comfortable doing these things. I found a guy at a small watch shop here and he replaced the movement for me. I was there is the room all the while he did it (took him 25 minutes).

The watch will only run if I wind it. It does not behave like an automatic. Took it back to the guy who installed the movement and he said all he knows is to do simple things. Can't help me with the movement issues :(

What could be wrong? I want to get the watch repaired as I don't feel like spending 300 to buy a new one. What are my options? I am in CONUS.

Thanks all.

• 2 weeks later...

Do you hear any "clanking" sounds when shaking the watch, as if to wind it? The rotor on the winding mechanism, on the 2836/24 just barely clears the case clamp screws. If he did not use the correct screws it could be the problem. Or if the screws are not tighted down they could be sticking up to far.

The other thing is...when you hold the watch up to your ear and wind it manually...with the stem, do you hear a sound like the rotor is spinning? If so you may have a sticking reverser wheel. I see this problem all the time, especially with ETA copies.