When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gen Daytona SS or TT

freeflypr

Hello everyone:

I'm thinking of buying a Rolex Daytona, either in Stainless-steel or the two tone both with white face.

My question is why do the sell for only few hundred dollars apart ($200 on some sites)

Is it that the SS has a higher collection value? why?

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hmm did you just tell us that you missed the whole "SS Daytona being the most sought after watch in the world" story?

It is a rare example of a watch that used to sell used at huge markup over retail price and was in very very high demand with very low supply, waiting lists and huge legend around it.

For a long time retail for SS was at around 6-7k usd and you could sell it just around the corner of an AD for over 10k!

Later I think Rolex realised that they can actually benefit from such situation themselves and raised MSRP a couple of times until it reached something over 10k and all of a sudden it got pointless for people to try to get one from ADs just to flip it minute later.

With recent financial problems in US and most parts of the world the prices got lower for the very first time in years and you can get one of these beauties for a more reasonable price of around $8700-$9200 if you look around.

As for TT - they were never really of any interest - more of a watch you get when you cant get a SS one so they are priced accordingly when you look at second hand ones and the fact they have gold does not really change much.

Good luck with your purchase.

Stainless steel sports models are the most collectible. Watch enthusiasts don't generally care about gold/two-tone versions, especially when it's about Rolex.

Just compare the vintage GMT Masters... the 1675's go fast and command much higher price than say, the TT "Root Beer" GMT.

I think this would make an interesting discussion. Maybe gold versions aren't considered as durable, or perhaps WIS think that gold versions are only for posers?

But yeah, two-tone Daytona has never been very desirable among the watch community. Everyone wants the SS version. That's why there is the infamous "waiting list" for them while it's possible to source a TT model straight from the dealer. Rolex has a limited supply for the SS Daytona, so the dealers have a good reason to "blackmail" their customers this way: sell it way over the list price.