When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Tropic Bands !

AMK000

Supply and demand, unfortunately. They really are just cheap rubber straps, but they happen to be scarce and very desirable to anyone who loves vintage divers.

What I did was constantly monitor eBay and buy vintage Tropics when no one was bidding, regardless of whether I needed the straps or not. I figure I eventually will! I've now built up a nice collection of perforated, basket-weave-textured rubber: A couple of 19s (curved and straight), a curved 20, and two straight 22s in black and silver. The black 22 was the only one that cost more than $50. ($120 for the black 22, since I really wanted one for my Longines.) I was able to get the super-rare (and somewhat ugly) silver 22 for less than $20.

I bought one of the Modena Tropics a while back. It's a good, comfortable strap in its own right, but very different in look and feel from the original. Another alternative might be a Hadley-Roma Carbon strap, which has a diagonal checked pattern like a Tropic. I've thought about getting one and punching diamond-shaped holes in it to make a poor man's version of the JLC Tribute to Polaris strap, but I'm afraid the liner would just puff out and make a mess.