When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Help deciding between what to mod 001b vs 005

ebzen02

Hi Pamologist,

Well, I have had a cartel 005 for a while now and since I cannot find a decent 005 dial I wanted to know my options. I also want to know which would be more cost effective. I am not buying gen parts as these would be too expensive for me. I want a good rep not a franken. What would be my options:

For a 001 what would I have to mod to get it close to gen and where can I source these items; unfortunately the case might not be an option but other components can:

For the 001b

1.Dial (I have reached out to FGD, but not sure he makes these)

2. CG

3. crown (ordering a Palp from Marcus currently)

4. case back

For the 005

1. Dial (who has the best dial other than OEM)-- That dang incorrect logo bugs that crap out of me!!!

2. CG (I would go with Toro, but would look into LH)

3. crown (Palp)

Your comments and suggestions would be grealy appreciated/

My vote - 001b. It's a timeless piece and to me is what contemporary Panerai is all about.

As far as the dial FGD has one but it's for PreA, if you go that route make sure you also source a good caseback (DSN 0401 or 0333 serials are the best for PreA). You you can get a very nice T SWISS T dial + hands set like this from DSN for $90:

DSCF1545.jpg

or if you're fan of L dials then this one should do the trick, also from DSN:

DSCF1545.jpg

for a good B series caseback pm HackR, he has one of the thick & heavy old school ones for sale.

My vote - 001b. It's a timeless piece and to me is what contemporary Panerai is all about.

As far as the dial FGD has one but it's for PreA, if you go that route make sure you also source a good caseback (DSN 0401 or 0333 serials are the best for PreA). You you can get a very nice T SWISS T dial + hands set like this from DSN for $90:

DSCF1545.jpg

or if you're fan of L dials then this one should do the trick, also from DSN:

DSCF1545.jpg

for a good B series caseback pm HackR, he has one of the thick & heavy old school ones for sale.

Thats not the same dial posted twice ? Whats the difference ?