When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Any one here good with PC's?

fulanito_uk

Hello all,

I have a major problem... I think i killed my pc, the specs are below:

Processor: AMD Phenom II 965

Processor Interface : Socket AM3

Memory: Major Brand 4gb DDR2 800 PC6400 CL6.0 Memory Module

Hard Drive: Branded 1tb Sata 7200rpm 16mb Cache HDD

Graphics Card: GTS 250 1gb

Motherboard: Asrock K10N78 Full HD-HSLI AM2 5200MT/S Nvidia 8200 Chipset SKT AM2

Max Memory Support: 16gb DDR2 1066

Motherboard Expansion Slots: 1x PCI-E 16x, 1x PCI-E 1x, 2x 32-bit PCI

Power Supply: Branded 450w 24Pin Power Supply Unit

Thought i was updating the bios to work better with my new CPU (which was working perfectly should have left it as it was) but the item I downloaded from the offical ASrock website seems to have killed my pc!!

While there is no smell of burning and all fans, lights, dvd (open and close) are working, there is no signal to my monitor?! and doesn't seem to be booting up. Tried the jump thing with the pins no change and did the CMOS battery thing no joy... what the hell have I done?!?! and what can i do to get it running again?!?

Thanking you all in advance!! with every thing crossed!!

You may be able to recover flash via a floppy disc with a force flash command, but for that the BIOS's boot sector must still be in place, does it search for a floppy if you boot?

Check the mobo manufacture to see if they support this, it involves putting an auto execute .bat command file onto a boot floppy, including the dos flash program and the correct BIOS file, it is usually just a few lines of text, nothing difficult......

You need a floppy drive, motherboards will seek for a floppy if they can upon post, and the auto execute file will run the flash for you, usually you would leave it for 15 minutes to see if it worked, then re-boot, you can hear if the floppy drive is doing something or not ;)

You would not need to see the screen with this BIOS recovery method ;)

will try the graphics card but how will i know if it worked if i can't see the screen?

have you a Port for the GraphicCard on Your Board? or only on the Graphic Card self?

edit: is this your Board? the Blue Port right on top is the GraphicCard Port

k10n78.jpg

I don't know if you can just drop the new BIOS chip in with ease, also, do the sellers flash it with the correct BIOS for you first? Otherwise you are still in the same position.....

An internal floppy drive is dirt cheap, and you may be able to fix the board via the recovery method I mentioned before, did you flash the wrong BIOS from within windows somehow? Most winflash programs would prevent incorrect BIOS flashes from ever happening, did you cut power during the flash, or did the PC freeze?

no it was the right bios from the offical site don't know what the hell happened, all finished well... please restart then nada!! uuufffffffff what an idiot!!! so its the chip, new mobo, or your floppy idea (just found one in my room funny enough) where do you think i can find out if i can download the flash thing for the floppy??

Thanks guys

the chip seems to be the exact chip from my mobo

OK, have a read of this, your motherboard uses an AMI BIOS, which has a recovery option built in!:

"BIOS Recovery

AMI BIOS

AMI has an embedded recovery technique in the 'boot block' of the BIOS. In the event that the BIOS becomes corrupt the boot block can be used to restore the BIOS to a working state. The routine is called when the 'system block' of the BIOS is empty or corrupt. The restore routine when called will access the floppy drive (1.44Mb floppy disk drive) looking for a file named AMIBOOT.ROM.

This is the reason the floppy drive light comes on and the drive appears to be in use. If the file (AMIBOOT.ROM) is found it is loaded into the 'system block' of the BIOS to replace the corrupted information.

To restore your BIOS copy the most recent version of your motherboards BIOS file to a floppy diskette and rename it AMIBOOT.ROM. The diskette does not need to be bootable or contain a flash utility. It will access the floppy from 2-5 minutes the system will beep four times. Remove the floppy diskette from the drive and reboot the computer. if when you turn on the system it does not try to access the floppy, press and hold the 'CTRL' and 'HOME' keys at the same time. This will force the system (assuming the 'boot block' isn't corrupted) to access the flopy and look for the AMIBOOT.ROM file.

Note: 12345678.BIN represents the name of your BIOS.

Step by Step:

1. Rename the desired AMI BIOS file to AMIBOOT.ROM and save it on a blank floppy disk. e.g. Rename 12345678.ROM to AMIBOOT.ROM

2. Insert this floppy disk in the floppy drive. Turn On the system

3. If no floppy access occurs press and hold Ctrl-Home to force update. Follow insructions on the screen and it will read the AMIBOOT.ROM file and recover the BIOS from the A drive.

4. When 4 beeps are heard you may remove the floppy disk.

5. Restart the computer."

So it seems you just need an internal floppy hooked up, with a floppy disk with your BIOS file on it, I have attached the right file, just unrar it to a floppy disk, and see if it works :)

AMIBOOT.rar

Don't know what Boot ver:1.23 is, I think it has nothing to do with your problem though :)

By the way, if you want to buy a pre-flashed BIOS, have a look here: http://www.biosman.com/biosrecovery.html

I purchased from them years ago for a messed up flash, where the boot sector was corrupted, the chip they sent worked a treat, strange I still had the link after such a long time :lol:

Just in case, might be worth unplugging the power and removing the little button cell battery from the board for half an hour or so, that has brought some boards back to life for me :)

Are you 100% sure the internal floppy drive works OK? If it does, the BIOS probably has a corrupt boot sector, any you will need a new chip....

I live in TW9 area ;)