When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Does Anyone Give A Damn About How Much A Watch Weighs?

crystalcranium

I have more people tell me when I hand them my reps and gens, "How do you wear this thing all day? doesn't your arm get tired?" The trend in genuines appears to be towared lighter materiels like titanium or carbon fiber. Does anyone really think wearing a 200gm watch on their wrist results in "arm fatigue"? I don't hear a lot of complaints about leg fatigue just because a pair of shoes weigh 2 1/2 lbs.

I like my watches heavy. It might sound stupid, but a mechanical watch in a lightweight case just seems cheap feeling to me. I thought about getting the IWC GST Chrono Ti but opted for stainless because I wanted more rotor movement dampening mass in the watch case.

And I have never gotten to the end of the day and taken off my watch with relief like I just dropped a 20 lb backpack after a long day of hiking.

I like the feel of a "gyrating" movement irrespective of size. It is not weight that I can find to be a problem but rather size - especially with watches with large crowns or corwn guards. I often end up with a dent at the bottom of my hand if I don't remember to take them off before working with tools or other activities that utilize alot of hand or wrist movement. :) I assumed the trend toward differnt metals (ti, tantalum, rhodium) was more about selling more watches than weight. :lol: