When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Can You Take A Rep To Any Watch Repair

MJP

when you call, just ask them if they work on reps? if not, move on to the next shop. better to do it over the phone than face to face. that's when you get in trouble!

True. Unless they're REAL assholes and go, "Replicas? Oh sure, no problem! Come on in ASAP! Bring your ID and any other reps you might have, I'd love to see them! What time will you be here?" YKWIM? I joke, but who knows--they might have an agenda. They might be required to--I don't know

Obviously if they said all that I would continue down the list. Actually if I was a watch repair dude I might do that for fun.

Edited by MJP

In my experience, you have to find the right one with a little finesse. Get a band sized first and see if they say anything. Some will and some won't work on them. I had one guy do a bunch of little clean ups and then I brought in my mother's Datejust...he said: Ummm...I can't work on this one. So, I just chuckled and slipped out pretty quickly.

In my experience, the independent shops will work on reps, no problem. To them, a watch is a watch, and the money being paid for a gen or a rep is still money coming in. Since they're not selling the rep, they don't have much to worry about. Only problem is, they usually want the same amount to service a watch as a genuine equivalent (with the same ETA for example) would cost.

Thanx :brow:

Both of my watchmakers I used in the last 12 years for work on my Seiko and Citizen divers and vintage models said - no problem as long as the mov't is Swiss.

Neither wouldn't even look at the reps with Asian/Chinese mov'ts - both said they burnt their fingers too many times on those previously. They don't mind Asian 21J autos, as long as they're made by Seiko or Miyota (used for ages by Citizen in their autos)

I guess this comes from the bad experience and bad press badly manufactured and finished Asian mov'ts received in the past...who knows, the new A7750 that comes stock in Daytona and PAM250 reps could start changing the tide for the better :-)

cheers,

babola

Edited by babola

i took it once and dude told me to go and *** off with that piece of chiniese junk. I looked at him like at idiot, laughed and told ok mister :p

Another one was admmiring it and really took care of it..

So... there no rule imo, it all dpens from the type of watchmakes ideology.

Same here...I took my omega moon watch w/ st-19 mov't (asain venus 175) into a mom and pop jewelry/watch repair shop out west to have the band sized. I did not have tools at that time to size it.

He sized it and complimented me on it and asked me where i got it, i chuckled and said a friend (EL) hehe :) and left...

you just have to go to the place and check it out, thats what i did and my hunch paid off...

Definitely ask before you bring the watch. I have never seen an independent refuse to work on them as long as they are ETA's. You can make your life easier if you know of other forum members who live in your area who already use someone.

In my own case I concluded I was much happier using established forum folks (Ziggy in my case). Chances are they have worked on whatever watch you are bringing them before and they can also do the aesthetic mods you may be looking for. In many regards reps are more difficult to work with then gens. When you start with a local who you don't know do not start with your favorite rep as you don't know there skills yet. :)