When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

PAM243 Crystal

Collin24

Hi guys,

I am considering in investing in a PAM243 project. I have thought about the basic mods: lume, polish of the bezel markers, CG fix, Swiss 7750, aftermarket DW, but I am stuck on the crystal.

I am looking for a decent crystal with a proper cyclops. If I can't find one I am seriously thinking about removing it.

I found this item on the bay: http://cgi.ebay.com/SAPPHIRE-CRYSTAL-PANERAI-WATCH-44MM-DATE-PART-/310153004588?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item48368f462c but I don't know if it's suitable (still waiting for an answer from the seller...).

All suggestions are welcome!

Regards,

Catalin

Edited by Collin24

The size of the rep crystal and cyclops are wildly different from the gen counterpart. I know a member tried fitting an ultimate crystal from luminor series w/ a 7mm cyclops onto his 243 without any luck. So it's almost a certainty that the WSO990 crystal at 35.5mm diameter will also not fit. The gen crystal wouldn't work either since it's 5.1mm thick I've never seen one for sale.

Any chance to remove the cyclops and replace it with a better one?

The size of the rep crystal and cyclops are wildly different from the gen counterpart. I know a member tried fitting an ultimate crystal from luminor series w/ a 7mm cyclops onto his 243 without any luck. So it's almost a certainty that the WSO990 crystal at 35.5mm diameter will also not fit. The gen crystal wouldn't work either since it's 5.1mm thick I've never seen one for sale.

Any chance to remove the cyclops and replace it with a better one?

I thought the cyclops was engraved inside the crystal, so it cannot be removed, like f.e. on a Rolex crystal.

The 243 is a superb watch, but has wrong bezel markings and a not perfect cyclops.

However, if you take a (Takashi?) date wheel with thick bold font, it will do very well the trick with the less magnifying cyclops.

There is no option for that watch... it's smaller than the wholesaleoutlet crystal... cyclops is recessed so can't be removed... only thing you could do would be to reduce the diameter with a very tricky lathe set up with a diamond grinder... massive endeavor. Only shot you have would be if an ultimate 199 or arktos crystal is the same diameter which I highly, highly doubt.