When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

EB 8800

spider87

I bought a pocket watch (knowing it was broken) because I want to be able to fix it. The movement is an EB 8800. It seems to be overwound (I know this isn't really the problem but it won't wind anymore and it's not moving. I know it's probably gummed up.. What I'm looking for, I'd like to see if any of you know how to remove the pin from it so I can take the movement out without breaking the watch. I'd like to start looking in to why it's stuck up but I can't if it's still in the case.

I know it's vague but I'm TRYING to include pictures.. I don't have time to get my good cam out so I am trying to use my 10x loupe to take pics with my cell phone... They look ok but... Eh... But anyone have any idea?

Thanks,

Alex!

post-20375-006601800 1279773484.jpg

post-20375-065559300 1279773492.jpg

post-20375-066177200 1279773498.jpg

• Like 1

New, more awful problem... Now, keep in mind, I paid $5 for this pocket watch so it's not worth taking to a repair shop. I'd LIKE to fix it myself if at all possible.. It was probably more possible before this.. Don't push on the regulating levers..

Edit before submit.. It's even worse now.. the little piece that is sticking up in this picture just came completely off...

Is there any saving it?

post-20375-095968300 1279776527.jpg

Is it as simple as just attaching the hairspring to that piece again and just putting that piece back on that cylinder and then just regulate it? Or am I pretty much screwed in that spot for now?

You need to remove the balance bridge, and reattach the hair spring (Not very easy if you are just starting to work on watches).

Order of operation:

1.)Remove balance bridge

2.)Reattach regulating arm

3.)Attach hair spring

4.)Reinstall balance complete.

You should make sure it is unwound all the way or parts could go flying as you remove them

I was trying to push the stopper so I could let it unwind but it doesn't seem to ever get out of the way enough. Just by looking at it, can you see how I might go about releasing the main spring's tension?