When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Suggestion on A-series CG?

sonicpath

Well... I would use a nice DSN, Toro or Snembo slightly reshape the arch (of the Toro & Snembo)and polish. Since none of those are the correct shape for Pre-V anyway. The other option is to scour the boards for a year in hopes that a Fu will pop up. Wolf and a few others are THE KINGS of answering these questions. I pay attention and absorb as mucg as I can. And BTW, if you ever grow tired of the dial and handset LMK! Best of luck!

PreV CGs are called historic, they come with a larger taper on top. There's a gray area with 5218-209 & -210 but otherwise all other PreV models that come with a crownguard should be historic. Best rep example is LH CG. Not really a problem sourcing this style CG as Toro, Snembo, WSO990, LH and an occasion V historics can be found.

PreA, A - F and some special editions are what's called a contemporary style CG. Best rep example is JimmyzFu CG. This is the style of CG that's really hard to source. Coincidentally many of our beloved models like the 01, 02, 03, 04, 09, 10, 24, 25, 27, 28, 29, 55, 57, 61, 63, and many others come with this CG.

Ok, I'm a little confused now. You say the Pre-A is exactly the same as an A-F CG? I was under the impression the Pre-A was flat on top, but the A-F ones definitely are slightly curved.

Does anyone have a pic of the aforementioned JimmyFu one? I just let go of a couple of mine, which were identical to the ones that came on my 029 and 063, but held back some for my current builds. So I'd like to make sure I'm using the right ones .....

There are no completely flat top CGs. The PreA, A~F CGs are the same type of CG with roughly 1mm above the lever and 2mm below the lever. They have a slight taper on top which accounts for about .3mm raise in its thickest part (inner part of CG feet) to match the curve of the side of the case. PreA, A and B transitional CGs' lever finish is different from B~F CGs, the former have micro bead blasted finish and the latter have the horizontally brushed finish.

As always, a wealth of information :)

Oh well, another member had asked for a CG that was flat on top, thinking it was correct for the A series. :whistling:

Now I've got to go CG diving again, to see if I can find something suitable for my 001B, 029, and 063, as I believe the CGs on them are all flat :thumbdown:

Doc,

You can always post pics and we'll help you figure out what's suitable and what's not.

Also, I think this photo from Martin Wilmsen illustrates everything I described above. On the top is a PAM02A with a contemporary crown guard and bead-blasted lever, and on the bottom is a PAM000 with a historic crown guard.

00016593.jpg

As always, a wealth of information :)

Oh well, another member had asked for a CG that was flat on top, thinking it was correct for the A series. :whistling:

Now I've got to go CG diving again, to see if I can find something suitable for my 001B, 029, and 063, as I believe the CGs on them are all flat :thumbdown:

And that would be me..lol! All good.. I don't suffer from OCD..

Edited by ebzen02

Doc,

Believe it or not there was a rep CG with bead-blasting on the lever at some point. I was working on a CG/pin mod for a friend of mine, as I recall it was a PAM1B with an old school case. That watch had one of the best looking rep CGs, even the lever came blasted. I actually saved the picture:

post-11419-084370100 1281663619.jpg

Doc,

Believe it or not there was a rep CG with bead-blasting on the lever at some point. I was working on a CG/pin mod for a friend of mine, as I recall it was a PAM1B with an old school case. That watch had one of the best looking rep CGs, even the lever came blasted. I actually saved the picture:

post-11419-084370100 1281663619.jpg

except for all that space above and below the lever...

I like the old school EL/Hompo CGs if you can find them... there's actually quite a few of them floating around, separated from their cases due to pre-v projects... they usually have no gaps between the CG and lever and have the correct curvatures up top... They look almost Gen when compared to Gen :)

DSC00897.jpg

DSC00898.jpg

DSC00900.jpg