When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

PAM196 extra tic by 12 dial

Drulee

I'm about to put up my old skool 196, all flat dial, high bezel, etc. But before I do, I was wondering about that extra tic to the right of the "2" on the dial which the gen does not have.

Do you think I should black it out, or just leave it? I was thinking if I blacked it out, using some matte or glossy (will have to take a close look at dial to decide which finish) paint on the end of a toothpick, it would make it a bit more unique :)

I would leave it. IMHO, the chance of you successfully matching up the base black without having to clearcoat the entire dial and changing the sheen is low. And I have seen too many people who have ended up with an "odd patch" which drives all the OCD folks (myself included) nuts. The sheen on the original first generation rep dial is remarkably close to the gen - leave it that way. The other more obvious tell if that is the dial we are talking about is the six marker extending too high (close to the sub dial). I elected not to fix that either. Other people may have more informed opinions having actually done the dial modification. I do a fair amount of modding to my timepieces but I generally try and stay away from the dial mods. But that is just me.

I would leave it. IMHO, the chance of you successfully matching up the base black without having to clearcoat the entire dial and changing the sheen is low. And I have seen too many people who have ended up with an "odd patch" which drives all the OCD folks (myself included) nuts. The sheen on the original first generation rep dial is remarkably close to the gen - leave it that way. The other more obvious tell if that is the dial we are talking about is the six marker extending too high (close to the sub dial). I elected not to fix that either. Other people may have more informed opinions having actually done the dial modification. I do a fair amount of modding to my timepieces but I generally try and stay away from the dial mods. But that is just me.

I went thru the very same dilemma re EL 196 dial originally, decided to keep it stock in the end, just got Zig-gy re-lume it in correct greenish/yellow.

As you said, the chances of ruining the very nicely done rep dial are quite high. Even with all the 'issues' it comes with (I'd add low crossbar on letter 'A' and the fact the 10, 20, 30 numerals on a chrono register are positioned slightly off, as well) it's still the closest PAM196 rep dial made to this day, IMO.

cheers,

b