When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Trivia Tip for 24A and Other Rotating Bezel Owners

Watchmeister

With the spate of new 24A's going to forum members I thought I would mention a tip I learned the hard way. My friends know I have owned a number of bezel engraved subs over the years so this is based on my experience. Other people may have had a different onee and should pipe in with any other suggestions. This is all to avoid "difficult to repair" scratches and dings since it is a real pain in the neck to polish them out without removing the bezel.

Rule #1

Keep the lumed bezel dot either at 6 or 12. I have found that at those locations it is almost impossible to strike it directly when your wrist strikes against a wall or door. Dent that metal bezel surround and it is almost impossible to fix. Gouge the lume and you have an expensive fix as well. :lol:

Rule #2

If you ignore Rule 1 at least make sure that the major markers are not on the diagonal. I find that the diagonal markers are the one that get scratched most frequently. And you don't want to dent the engraved numbers if you can avoid it.

Rule #3

Don't wear that watch in cement pools. I can't tell you how many times I get out of the pool having felt nothing and there is a good size ding or scratch. This one my be irrelevant as most people don't take their watches swimming.

So take it for what it is worth. I am sitting here having a heck of a time getting rid of a couple more scratches as I write this. Polished bezels look great but do require upkeep unless you are going for the "I just came up from a 1,000 foot dive" look. After all, those rocks on the bottom of the sea can cause real damage. :lol:

All the best and enjoy the remainder of the weekend.

Words of wisdom from the W-Man ....just a little late for me though.

I "lost" the whole lume dot from my Old Skool 24A and it took some $150 worth of "cannibalisation" and a trip to the Canada Spa to remedy !!

Those little rubber "OEM" protection covers will do a good job , but don't quite achieve the look you want to carry off

Cheers

FGD