When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Panerai 27A Date window/wheel/cyclops issue...

swdivad

Hi Guys...

I just got this beautiful 27A recently and it's gone to my watchsmith for a dial change.

The watch tested to 50m waterproof, keeps time well and looks pretty great. I may get another dial down the track if I can, or possibly turn it into a 28 depending on my mood.

One thing that has to be fixed is the date change mechanism, apparently there is a fine spring in the mechanism that needs replacing...

The main thing that I see needing fixing is either the cyclops, or the date wheel, not sure which at this point... The date seems too big for the cutout on the dial, and the cyclops seems too small, or maybe a combination of both. Either way, it's too hard to read comfortably and seems to be a dead giveaway...

Maybe someone here can offer some advice based on this photo, or if more views are needed, please let me know. I tried to get a shot as dead on to the center of the dial as possible, and then one straight onto the date wheel:

img3330bf.jpg

img3333b.jpg

what datewheel are you using? is this 27a from DSN?

the date window itself seems to be misaligned with the cyclops position, plus the datewheel positioning itself is also a fair bit off (this could be due to the date change mechanism issue you mentioned).

but i'd be more concerned with the position of the date window, which currently seems to be offcenter towards the left of the cyclops mag.

here's how my DSN 27a looks, after installing a Leo datewheel:

DSC01710.jpg

Thanks for that... Yours looks great!!!

I believe this dial is a DSN and the date wheel is Lello, so maybe it is just the alignment that will be fixed up as soon as the part comes in from ETA.

Can you read your date easily when you're wearing it? I have to move the watch all over to read it, I know it's partially due to the misalignment, but I hope it's much better after the fix. :unsure:

Lello datewheel font is bolder than Leo, it also seems like it's not aligned all that well which was not uncommon with Lello. You need to get a Leo datewheel to fix this or you can experiment with removing the datewheel lens on the movement. You can also try to make SSSurfer cyclops and combine it with a regular crystal, he posted a full guide on how to make his cyclops on RG.

Yeah, a couple of small issues there although fixable and no reson for big concern. :)

It appears that you ended up with the combo of:

A] Lello 2892 DW (his DWs usually came with thicker font than Panerai OEM DW one)

B] secondary DW mag (cyclop) on the movement (this is installed on both cartel and DSN PR mov'ts to provide extra magnification of otherwise too sunken DW due to thickness of Soprod9040 PR module)

C] SSSurfer's DW cyclop on the xtal (his mags come with very strong magnification)

The combination of those three provides a slight over-magnification on the DW. I went with the same combo but ended up removing the secondary cyclop from the mov't, and the result was great.

Secondly, the DW itself doesn't seem to be in alignment with the DW window on the dial as it's obvious from the pics you posted, there could be few reasons for this but nothing to worry about. really. You might need to send it off to a watchmaker of your choice to have a look at it, though.

And thirdly, the DW cyclop will have to be removed from the xtal and re-installed, as it's currently misaligned, i.e. not centered over the DW dial cutout. Not a big deal for someone like Zig-gy or others experienced in cyclop install.

Hope this helps a bit,

b

Thanks guys! That's a lot of help.

I thought Leo DW was just a typo/abbreviation on the Lello (LOL)

My watchmaker has ordered a part from ETA for the date wheel misalignment issue. We'll have a look at after the fix and see what needs to be done from there!

Cheers!! :thumbsupsmileyanim: