When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Another New Version Of The Asian 7753 (7750)

RWG Technical

Mark has commissioned pattern datewheels with the correct Panerai font. These datewheels fit the Valjoux 7753 movement but will not fit this version of the 7750 with the transfer gears to mimic 7753 subdials.

I was not aware of this, as far as I know, the only ETA 7753 (Valjoux is long gone) datewheels Mark has, are those that I removed or he removed from the customers watches...he does not have any spare wheels... Only a few ETA parts will fit the Asian movements, the datewheel is one of them...

Technically it is still a 7750 as by removing the transfer gear you are left with a 7750. Presumably the rep makers start with the same base movement and then modify them accordingly (as is the case with thr 2836 modified to look like a GMT) which is probably where the misnomer occurs.

Yes and no, technically a ETA 7753, or 7765 or any of the other versions is a 7750, but as on the ETA, if you remove the transfer gears on the Asian one, it's not a 7750 until you put in some new parts, because the 30 minute gear is modified to accept a transfer gear, not a subdial hand...

If you look at the ETA tech sheets for the 7750 series, most verisons use 7750 parts. On this new Asian model, there are some new parts, that are only usable for the 7753 layout. The new bridge on the dial side is custom made and designed to work as a 7753 with the transfer gears jewels built into the actual plate, and not an add on... It started out as a 7750, but removing the transfer gears alone, will not make it into a 7750 again, some new parts would be needed...

In any event, it's a big improvement over what we had 2 years ago, whatever we call it won't change the fact, it's here to stay, and the Chinese (or whoever is making these) are either reading these posts, or listening to someone, as they are improving the movements all the time, and to me, that is great news...if they could only go easy on the oiling of the mainspring...or even better, oil the movement before sending it out...

RG

or even better, oil the movement before sending it out...

This would be the ideal, but it'd hurt the cost. These movements appear to me to have the absolute minimum invested to sell. Adding a service will add the cost for no cosmetic improvement. I bet Josh sells less pre-serviced subs than unserviced by a country mile.

Oiling a watch is a huge topic on it's own...too tedious to try and cover in a post...

The barrel sides are coated with a special grease, the mainspring in installed, then oil is applied to the spring coils, and once the cover is installed, a different oil is applied to the arbour pivots...3 types on this one part alone, in varying quantities...

Best to get some oiling charts from ETA.www.eta.ch, and have a look. It's more than I am willing or able to explain, sorry. There is probably information on Time Zone on oiling a watch...

RG

Hi The Zigmeister,

I've done the timezone courses and have rebuilt a number ETA movements, experience and confidence is building...slowly! I've stuck to the methods laid out in the training material and oiling is indeed an art in its self!

I thought as you have repaired/serviced more movements than I've had hot dinners you might have had a better or improved method of oiling the barrel, however, reading between the lines it seems you use well established methods. Thanks anyway.

Regards

Edited by NRG

Excellent post The Zigmeister. It's always a pleasure to read those king of review.

Since your review of the Daytona 7750 movement, I was waiting for your "updated" through about the new 7750 in normal 6-9-12 or 3-6-9. Do you think it's still as good as ETA ? also a question I was wondering for a while, are most of the part swappable with ETA or you have to source parts from Asian watches.

Thanks for all your great info, maybe it will reassure me to finally buy one of the 7750 watches.

Hi Ziggy,

I've done the timezone courses and have rebuilt a number ETA movements, experience and confidence is building...slowly! I've stuck to the methods laid out in the training material and oiling is indeed an art in its self!

I thought as you have repaired/serviced more movements than I've had hot dinners you might have had a better or improved method of oiling the barrel, however, reading between the lines it seems you use well established methods. Thanks anyway.

Regards

Well that sheds a different light on the question...

I use about 1 full yellow oiler of 8217 on the barrel sides, then install the mainspring, then use 4 yellow oilers of 8141 on the mainspring itself, then after assembly, a full black oiler of D5 on the pivots for the arbour. Works for me, quantities of course vary by the movement type and size...

RG

Excellent post Ziggy. It's always a pleasure to read those king of review.

Since your review of the Daytona 7750 movement, I was waiting for your "updated" through about the new 7750 in normal 6-9-12 or 3-6-9. Do you think it's still as good as ETA ? also a question I was wondering for a while, are most of the part swappable with ETA or you have to source parts from Asian watches.

Thanks for all your great info, maybe it will reassure me to finally buy one of the 7750 watches.

I think once cleaned and oiled, it's about a 8 out of 10, the ETA being a 10.

Not sure if any or all of the ETA parts will fit, I do know the cannon pin from an ETA does fit, as this one was really bad, and I could not fix it...that is the first bad cannon pin on this new model. The older Asian 7750, all the cannon pins are crap, but the ETA part does not fit on the old ones...

RG

Superb stuff as always Rob - my hat off to you again!! Question - is the clearance for the datewheel less with these now gear arrangements? In other words is there less of a gap between dial and datewheel?

The gap between the datewheel and the movement is about the same...until they design a true 7753 copy, with the datewheel ABOVE the transfer gears, were stuck with the gap...

RG