When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Valjoux 7734: A 45-minute Conversion?

lhooq

I've finally managed to source a Valjoux 7734 for use in a Tudor 7032 project. Unfortunately, it's geared for a 30-minute counter. Does anyone here know how to convert it into a 45-minute chrono? Has anyone here already done this?

I've been studying the Valjoux 7733 manual available online (see here). Only three parts refer to a 45-minute recorder:

• 8000/3 Chronograph runner, mounted, 45 m
  • 8040 Minute-recording runner, mounted 45 m
  • 8120 Sliding gear, mounted, 45 m

8040 and 8120 are shown in the diagrams, and their cogs clearly have more teeth. (I've had no problem locating these parts.) 8000/3, on the other hand, is never pictured. In fact, I can't find any reference to a p/n "8000/3" outside of these documents.

Does anyone know if chronograph runner "8000/3" is, indeed, a different part from chronograph runner "8000"? More generally, does a center wheel even need to be tailored to a certain number of recorded minutes? The center wheel never directly engages with the minute gears, right?

Very confusing. :bangin:

• 5 months later...

Well... Since September, more than a few guys have converted their movements from 30- to 45-minutes, but I still have no answer to this question: What's the difference between chronograph runners 8000 and 8000/3?

(Don't say, "/3!" or I'll put a curse on your offspring!)

I suspect that if there is a difference, there might be a slight variance in height. All I can say is that my Tudor only has parts 8040 and 8120 installed. The chronograph runs, and it counts to 45, but it doesn't reset reliably. Whether that's due to to part 8000 or to other factors (e.g. I dropped the watch in October), I'm not sure. I have 8000/3 on back-order, so I may not receive it for another several months.

If there is anyone out there with both chronograph runners (8000 and 8000/3), I would really appreciate a macro photo or some measurements.

• 5 weeks later...

Well, I was hoping to post once I'd had the darn part ordered and installed, but J. Borel had me waiting weeks without delivery ("on backorder," they said), while I've been having some trouble with Cousins lately.

However, deja contacted me a month ago with the likely solution:

im not sure if you found out in the end, but ive had a quick look online and found that the difference between parts 8000/3 and 8000 for the 7734 and 7733 respectively is indeed height.

part 8000/3 is 8.9mm, as identified on cousinsUK and costs £19.95

part 8000 is 8.2mm, and although the height isnt listed on cousinsUK, i found the detail on an ebay listing. plus on cousins its price is £13.15

If anyone can suggest an alternative source for 8000/3, please tell me! In the meantime, big thanks to deja for unraveling this unsolved mystery. Robert Stack would be proud! :v:

Well, I was hoping to post once I'd had the darn part ordered and installed, but J. Borel had me waiting weeks without delivery ("on backorder," they said), while I've been having some trouble with Cousins lately.

However, deja contacted me a month ago with the likely solution:

If anyone can suggest an alternative source for 8000/3, please tell me! In the meantime, big thanks to deja for unraveling this unsolved mystery. Robert Stack would be proud! :v:

I have contacted a retailer in Australia that has several of the 45min conversion parts. They have everything but the 8000/3. They have plenty of the standard 8000's and they are looking into a source for some 8000/3's

I have contacted a retailer in Australia that has several of the 45min conversion parts. They have everything but the 8000/3. They have plenty of the standard 8000's and they are looking into a source for some 8000/3's

Do let me know if they find some. As I've said before, a lot of guys who buy these 7032s would be a lot happier (and slightly richer) if they'd stick with the 30-minute counters on their 7734s. Personally, I almost never use the chronograph on my 7032, though that may be due to my fear that clicking the pusher will detonate the movement!

• 3 weeks later...

@LHOOQ--can't the 8000/3 be found on 7733s as well as 7734s. I received a 7733 with a 45min counter and just measured the chronograph runner with my caliper. It's measuring at 8.24mm. The 7733 movement came disassembled, so I guess it could've been swapped.

@redwatch--any word from your retailer?

:pimp:

mrboombasteke: The parts I listed should be common to the 7733, 7734, and 7736. Where did you source your movement?

I know. That's why your measurements threw me for a loop.

I got the 7733 on the bay. It was sold with a missing balance wheel spring, but I only needed a few parts to get my 7734 fully functional.

:pimp: