When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Best IWC out of the box?

raym50

Hi, I am new to IWC and relatively new to reps. I've been doing a lot of research and it looks like the beauty of the IWC reps is to work on mods to get them to 99%. In the meantime, can anyone advise me on the best IWC that comes straight from the cartel? I am not ready to get modding done.

Thanks

Ray

Majority of IWC reps are very well made.

Most popular IWC here is the 3717. Most people change the day/date wheels for some gen ETA and also do an AR coating. Unless you're with someone who has a 3717, they won't notice the day/date wheel issue.

The Big Pilot is also very nice out of the box. The 5002 is more accurate than the 5004. You will need to change the strap, though, cause there's no way you can pass the rep for a $10k watch with the strap that it comes with. If you're anal, you'll probably need to adjust the power reserve hand. But chances are you'll never meet someone who owns a Big Pilot.

The Aquatimer is also very accurate. It is a little expensive, but rumor has it they will discontinue the SS strap version.

The Ingenieur is also a nice watch out of the box. Main mod is the date wheel.

The 3714 is a beautiful watch. Only problem is the movement. Only mod is to brush the caseback, which should be no problem.

All of these watches would benefit greatly from an AR coating. But it's not something people will call you out for. The ones without a SS bracelet will need a new strap because rep straps suck.

Read SD4K's guide, then read every thread he links to in that guide, and you'll be more familiarized with the brand and will be able to make a more informed decision. No other way around it.

Good luck

Gimme has hit the nail on this one with the description. We have been blessed with good reps from the factories. Yes, they all need a little nurturing but this community has all the right tools to make 99%ers.

It's a good observation about the straps, but luckily getting replacement straps is not hard at all. In fact, I prefer being able to choose your own strap anyway.