When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

About Bezel Gen & Aftrmarket

fellfell

One of the principal improvement of a Rolex replica is the sostitution of bezel whit a bezel Gen or hig quality.

I have seen on ebay many sellers of bezel (and dials) but I do not succeed to understand if they are GEN or not.

For me also a aftermarket goes well , but if quality is identical to what already it has in the replica-watch, it is a useless and stupid job.

Know you to indicate me Internet-site sellers optimal quality or original (new or used) parts? Or the ebay-stores more reliable? I have tried to try to bezel for vintage sub, but I have not understood "na mazza" (italian for "nothing"

Unfortunately In Italy official dealers not sell these parts (bezel. dial. bracialet, buckle ecc..) but they directly mount them on your GEN Rolex (if you have)

I understand that is a difficult question, but I hope in the good councils.

Good day friends

PS but the site http://www.buyawatch.com/kits.htm is dead? I do not succeed to approach Thanks

What type of insert are you looking for? Submariner? Sea-Dweller? Vintage or modern?

For vintage, that's easy, as you really only have one size amongst all the models- 5512, 5513, 5514, 1680, 1665, etc. So, for those, there is only one insert reference. Genuine inserts look like this:

125177-20653.jpg

125177-20654.jpg

Now... Once you get into the Neo-Modern transitionals, everything starts to change. These models (16800 and 16660) were the first Subs and SD's with sapphire crystals and new one way ratcheting bezels. The bezel insert between the Sub and SD are different in size, as the SD has a crystal that's roughly 1mm in size smaller. However, the luminescent pearl went from an acrylic setting to a 'glass' pearl with a metal (WG) surround/setting.

Once we get into the modern style Subs and SD's, there are differences yet again- The 16610 inserts remain the same as the 16800's, the 16600's are the same as well; the 14060's, which superceded the 5513's in the late 80's were now part of the new sapphire/uni-directional ratcheting bezel club, and had a bezel insert that is the same in appearance as the Sub Date and SD. However... The 5513's insert is also of different size, and is not interchangable on it's other two counterparts.

BTW... A genuine 16610 insert looks like this:

125177-20655.jpg

125177-20656.jpg

A comparison between the two...

125177-20657.jpg

Now... With regards to where to find genuine inserts- The vintage inserts are becoming more and more difficult to source, as NOS supplies are drying up and RSC's are tightening up parts control from the 3rd party vendors and watchmakers. The modern ones can be found on the open market, though it takes some looking around sometimes. Every now and then I'll take a few in, along with some other parts. Just kind of depends on what's available at the time (though I haven't made any parts purchases in quite a while).

Keep on eye on the usual sources. As long as you know what to look for, you can find some good deals out there!

What type of insert are you looking for? Submariner? Sea-Dweller? Vintage or modern?

For vintage, that's easy, as you really only have one size amongst all the models- 5512, 5513, 5514, 1680, 1665, etc. So, for those, there is only one insert reference. Genuine inserts look like this:

125185-20647.jpg

125185-20648.jpg

Now... Once you get into the Neo-Modern transitionals, everything starts to change. These models (16800 and 16660) were the first Subs and SD's with sapphire crystals and new one way ratcheting bezels. The bezel insert between the Sub and SD are different in size, as the SD has a crystal that's roughly 1mm in size smaller. However, the luminescent pearl went from an acrylic setting to a 'glass' pearl with a metal (WG) surround/setting.

Once we get into the modern style Subs and SD's, there are differences yet again- The 16610 inserts remain the same as the 16800's, the 16600's are the same as well; the 14060's, which superceded the 5513's in the late 80's were now part of the new sapphire/uni-directional ratcheting bezel club, and had a bezel insert that is the same in appearance as the Sub Date and SD. However... The 5513's insert is also of different size, and is not interchangable on it's other two counterparts.

BTW... A genuine 16610 insert looks like this:

125185-20649.jpg

125185-20650.jpg

A comparison between the two...

125185-20651.jpg

Now... With regards to where to find genuine inserts- The vintage inserts are becoming more and more difficult to source, as NOS supplies are drying up and RSC's are tightening up parts control from the 3rd party vendors and watchmakers. The modern ones can be found on the open market, though it takes some looking around sometimes. Every now and then I'll take a few in, along with some other parts. Just kind of depends on what's available at the time (though I haven't made any parts purchases in quite a while).

Keep on eye on the usual sources. As long as you know what to look for, you can find some good deals out there!

Dear friend

I am waiting for (from much time) the arrival of a Seadwellwe double red. From the photo it seems that the pearl is the critic point .

But I have found too many bezels in turn, he is not understood which is good and which not.

A Gen bezel of recent age he could be on it?

I have seen the official photos of the Sea in the guide book of Osvaldo Patrizzi (ref. 1665 Year 1979) and the bezel is very similar to actual.

The problem is also the measure.

When I have the Sea wanted I will also to replace the dial. Other modifications? I would not know which to make.

Since I have decided of collecting only (+/-)vintage, the problem of bezel for me seems important.

I have also a Sub TT in the bottom of my drawer that I perhaps would want to improve with a bezel new

The bezel in your photo have you buyed to official dealer or other?

Thanks, good day