When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Update: Swiss Eta; +40 Minutes In A 24hr Period

pwygant

Is this watch a chrono? If it is, then I had the same issue as yours. I was told that if I manually give it a full wind (40 turns on the crown) for a day or two, then it would solve the problem.

It sure did. Give it a try.

Just an Omega Planet Ocean, no Chrono. I have experienced +5 minutes in a new watch over a 24 hour period but never 40.

• 1 month later...

UPDATE... :g:

I was asked by my dealer to send this watch back for repair. They had it for about three weeks and it just arrived a couple of days ago with unfortunately no real improvement hence my dilemma. It still runs about 8-10 seconds too fast per hour.

At this point I am kind of afraid that something might be wrong with the movement? Do I contact my dealer again and explain not much was fixed or do I just take the hit? I have bought about 8 watches from him with no particular problems and I don't want to cause any problems since he goes above and beyond most others.

Ideas?

Sorry, but a loose case clamp wouldn't make a movement go faster...

40 mins is the amout of time (approx) that shows a magnetized balance hairspring. Go bring it in to a watchmaker, let him demag it - costs you a few tiny bucks - and you are happy again. Maybe you can have him adjsut the beat and rate too... :)

I had a similar problem with my vintage Submariner. I bashed it against something and all of a sudden it was running ridiculously fast, like +5 minutes in an hour.

I mentioned it to my Rolex certified watchmaker and he described a pair of curb pins that control the hairspring within the balance. He said the spring may have jumped over a curb pin, altering its tension way too high, making the watch run fast.

He said that of COURSE (*rolling my eyes*) he could not recommend anyone doing it, but a good solid whack in the palm of a hand would likely fix it.

So I gave it a good whack in the palm of my hand, glass-down. And wouldn't you know it, that fixed the problem. Good as new.

Of course I can't recommend anyone actually DOING this.

;)

:yeah: A 100% Nanuq post *hehe* :thumbsupsmileyanim::bleh:

You´re so damn masculine :yu: