When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My BCE died today

username here

You could do one of a couple of things...

- Replace the movement. If you go swiss eta, you are going to pay about $500 for the movement, then you'll have to pay a watchsmith to swap the datewheel and install the movement. Expensive, but you'll have a nice swiss watch. Replacing with an A7750 is going to cost about $100 for the movement, then installation costs. Probably under $200 all in. Problem is there is no guarantee that you won't end up in the same predicament a few months from now.

- Service the movement. This will cost about $300 from the Zigmeister. According to him a serviced A7750 is as reliable as an ETA. This is a more affordable option and not a bad route to go.

- Repair the movement. This option is fairly cheap, and it is quite possible that there may be a simple fix. On the other hand, it just might require a full service.

- Sell the watch and buy a new one. If you list it here for about $100, some do-it-yourselfer will snap it up quick. Put that cash towards a new model.

If it were me, I'd buy an A7750 and install it myself. Depending on your expertise in taking apart watches, you might be better with a different option.

I would first start with looking at having it repaired. Usually very easy for a watchsmith to tell if it is some thing simple or a full overhaul is needed. Expect about to pay $50 to have it looked at. Some people will not even charge you if they can not fix it or don't know what is wrong.

I have had a couple pieces come around my bench that have been dead...most of them have been a simple fix such as a balance staff that was broke because they piece was dropped or a hacking lever that was stuck.

If it does need major work, then you can decide what you would like to do based on Andrews feedback.

:drinks:

Wise words from our top Breit man there bud!! Andreww knows his stuff and has given you the best routes to go down!

I would go with Mikes advice, try and get it fixed, if that fails then a full service will see your watch right for about 5 years or so depending on how well it's worn!

Mike, I meant to PM you earlier, my BB died on me, I know you have played with a couple, is there something in particular that usually goes on this model? I know the movement mods for the tri-compax and big date make it a bit of a timebomb, but I love it and really want her up on her wheels again! Any advice would be gold dust big guy!!

Sorry OP, didn't mean to jack the thread, just while the big lug was in here I thought I'd collar him!!

Sixx :bones:

Wise words from our top Breit man there bud!! Andreww knows his stuff and has given you the best routes to go down!

I would go with Mikes advice, try and get it fixed, if that fails then a full service will see your watch right for about 5 years or so depending on how well it's worn!

Mike, I meant to PM you earlier, my BB died on me, I know you have played with a couple, is there something in particular that usually goes on this model? I know the movement mods for the tri-compax and big date make it a bit of a timebomb, but I love it and really want her up on her wheels again! Any advice would be gold dust big guy!!

Sorry OP, didn't mean to jack the thread, just while the big lug was in here I thought I'd collar him!!

Sixx :bones:

More then likely needs a service. With the extra gears moving the running seconds from 9 to 3, there is more drag on the movement. Crack it open and hit it with a shot of Honda HP4...oh wait, that movement might require the Moly, so better make it HP4M! :thumbsupsmileyanim: