When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Thinking about getting an AP sec at 12.

cougaree

Guys,

I'm thinking about getting a Safari sec at 12. I understand I will have to get graphite treatment and add the extra jewel, but... are all modders who work on AP can add the extra jewel? I know Sander can do it, but he seems taking a break from doing all these. Does anyone know if there is an even better version coming out? Thanks!

Do it!

It doesn't need graphite treatment... i don't think anyone even knows what that is and what it does...

Francisco made a thread on why the secs@12 fails and how to fix it here:

http://www.replica-watch.info/vb/showthread.php/improving-reliability-ap-seconds-12-51048.html

And while he's at it, just have him service the whole movement.

From what I've read, there are generally three issues with the seconds @ 12 movement:

-Improperly assembled gears on the mod plate

-Most movements either come poorly oiled or not oiled

-The seconds hand needs a jewel.

All three points are fixable in the hand of a competent watchsmith. The Asian 7750 movement itself seems to do a fairly good job; no worse than any other Asian-made movement. The one snag is that if you plan on keeping your rep for the long run, it might be a good idea to swap the A7750 with a gen Valjoux, but this is by no means necessary. Merely understand that it's probably wise to have the new rep serviced and the cost of doing so is merely the price of keeping your watch problem-free for many years to come.

What do you guys think of these quartz ones with sec at 12?

http://www.replica-watch.info/vb/showthread.php/ap-roo-safari-full-working-68784.html?t=68784

Actually, those look pretty interesting. If the case construction is the same as the mechanical as the ad states, then these would make for very interesting and affordable source of case/bezel/caseback & screws. If not, then they'd still make for an interesting daily beater.