When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

'What Watch'?

JoeyB

A favorite scene from my favorite movie, 'Casablanca':

Mr. Leuchtag: Liebchen - sweetnessheart, what watch?

Mrs. Leuchtag: Ten watch. 

Mr. Leuchtag: Such watch?

Carl: Hm. You will get along beautiful in America, mm-hmm.

I leave Sunday on my biannual trek to Hawai'i to visit my Son who attends the University of Hawai'i, and to get out of this insane Chicago weather. 

Two weeks ago we were buried in 20 inches of snow, then the blizzard conditions came, and then the 0º to sub 0º temperatures. This past week we got up to almost 60º and most of the snow is gone. Ordinarily I'd question 'what was the point', but I have read the Book of Job, so I don't think that's a good idea as I'm about to get on a machine that's heavier than air. I've flown a lot, jumped out of quite a few, and still can't figure out how they stay up there. Why push it? 

So, 'What Watch' do I wear for the month? I can safely say that Lanikai won't share his collection with me. One watch, all month. It's got to be a GMT, I'll need to know the time back home to check on Dad. The Breitling World GMT would be OK, except these old eyes need reading glasses just to find the hands on the damn thing. My Pam GMT would likely cause the airline to make me buy another seat for it. Gotta be a Rolex. The black dial 6542 is out. I don't want to lose that one just in case someone decides they like it too. My 16710 would be great, I had a Glide-Loc clasp on it, but I put that back to spec with the correct bracelet thanks to you guys here. That leaves the 166710 GMT II ceramic. It has the Glide-Loc on it so I can do a quick adjustment with the temperature change, the ceramic is more durable, and it is waterproofed just in case the plane does decide it is heavier than air. I don't swim with a watch, it spoils my tan line, don't you know...

Perfect.

Except that I've always preferred the thinner case of the 16710, and have grown to like the thin case 6542. So, though I must be nuts, it looks as though I will have a new project when I get back. The 'Perfect' Rolex GMT. I think the 16710 case with holes and sapphire crystal for durability. I prefer the holes in the case, to me it's a real GMT that way. And a black ceramic insert fitted to it as I've always thought that Rolex could have come up with a more expensive looking insert than the anodized one. I will say that though I didn't care for the Pepsi insert initially, I do love it now. But the ceramic insert is far more durable and the 'crowning touch' to the GMT.  And I think a white GMT dial would be different and easier to read, and look like an 'Oreo'. Silver hands, no Explorer stuff here, and a black painted GMT hand. I might even be able to read it without my old coot specs. The bracelet will have to have solid end links and solid mid links, I've never much understood the stamped and hollow bracelet on an expensive watch. And the Glide-Loc clasp. Rolex clasps are disappointing to me, but the Glide-loc with it's easy on-wrist adjustment is just about perfect. Should be real fun...

So, come Sunday I'll say 'Aloha!'

It's a dirty, thankless job, but someone has to do it. And if you live in or near Chicago be forewarned. I ordered truly miserable weather for while I'm in Hawai'i. It makes the trip so much more worthwhile!