When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

6154/1 cg (372 vintage)

mellons

Quick post- some of you have seen this: it is a fantasy piece inspired by some builds I have seen over the past few months.

The 6154 is one that always interested me, but I always wondered what a 6154 would be like with a crownguard.

Anyway when 372 came out I decided to give it a go. While waiting for neuhausen to put right some dodgy movements I got a jackson case and stated filing. At the start this was a pure experiment and practice at case-shaping: I fully expected the case to end up in the bin (along with many previous attempts).

The result was actually ok and am in the process of polishing and fine tuning shape. The cg and plexi shown here are not the finished ones (plexi is ultra-high soid from neckyzips for another build and cg is stock jackson sterilised).

Interestingly the sterilised jackson cg (5.7mm thick) sits well on the case- some material has been lost in case-shaping and bezel needed to be lowered. As a "cheat" to reduce the overall thickness of the assembly I intended to use a dsn solid casebback (thinner) and also took the top edge off the bezel. Interestingly when I went back to the 372 pics they seem to have done this on the new case also.

Further mods: plexi to be reduced in height (solid from necky); 1:1 crown and tube from neckyzips; lever mod from athaya; solid lugs to be installed; possible hamilton 921 to go in (undecided). Dial- am looking at options at moment. May go destro on this one. The strap is a custom one from timeband with an oakabum knife-edge buckle (angular buckle seemed appropriate).

Anyway some (bad) images of work at various stages:

IMG_19-1.jpg

IMG_20.jpg

IMG_18.jpg

comparison5.jpg

Mate, I have to say that idea is out the box and I look forward to seeing the end product, what 6154 dial look are you going for?

I love the idea of a destro are you going for the Montres CB etc as well if so is it worth the 921? I agree on the plexi but I think you should leave your options open on that till you finish off the case, which aint a bad job at all!! :thumbsupsmileyanim: Especially the edging of the boat hull.... Are you going for a complete refinish or a vinitagised finish?

I just wonder if you could make the CG work with a 6154 crown..? I love the idea of the 921 but if you go with that then your display it...? Which engraved plates are you thinking of on that? The concentric or the swirls? I dont know the tech terms so I will keep it simple so I understand !! ;)

Great share mate..:thumbsupsmileyanim: Thanks

I look forward to see the project progress please keep us updated mate :victory:

thanks pete

I am tending to go with solid dsn at present (like the internal caseback engraving)- have tried both solid nw (too thick) and dsn display back (too thin). Will probably use 921 (has concentric perlage) in another build (6152 no cg with display back)- this case here will probably become a daily beater with A6497 inside.

As you say the plexi will be last thing to alter- have already tried lowering an oakabum plexi (one that had previously been damaged) and looks wrong. The solid one here is too high but may just try lowering this by degrees- my personal preference is for a bit of "elevation". As suggested I will have a go at this last.

Dial options: lp with secs (take on 32); mm with secs at 9 o'clock; nw destro 4 liner with 8gb): tending to go with nw at moment.

have looked at dsn crown with a cg- looks odd at first glance but will look at again.

Due to rough skill levels my builds are all vintage- polishing will be light with plenty of "pitting" visible....

decisions/ decisions!!

Thanks mate :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Perlage !!! Thats the one :)

I look forward to seeing what you do decide and how it turns out....

Nice choice of dials... I always like NWs but TBH I like all your list of options but of course it will all depend on final decision on the rest of it...

Solid CB and 6497 sounds like the right move as it would be a shame to put a beauty like the 921 behind one...

Look forward to the next stage mate :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Thanks again for sharing its great to see projects like this :)

• 1 year later...